Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Keeping yourself safe and healthy

Hi

Just completed a life insurance sensitive questions section and one of the them was if I do any of high risk sports. I mentioned occasional fishing trips which was absolutely disregarded by consultant and qualified as one of the safest sports/activities you can do in you life. Oh is it? i thought. Yes, It is for me so far as the biggest fishing related pain I felt was the one I felt inside when looking at badly scratched rod when I tripped on the stones fishing the Annan. Lucky so far I would like to stay lucky and ask the honorable members of this forum how do they keep themselves safe and sound while fishing? Maybe some injury related stories I wouldn't have to experience 'hand/knees on'?

There is fishing and fishing.

The chap probably has a mental image of you sitting on the bank of a commercial Carp puddle dangling a maggot from the comfort of your bedchair, not standing in the middle of a river fishing for Salmon.

If night fishing make sure you know the pools like the back of your hand, if fishing a beat for the first time do a full daytime recce and wade all the pools you intend to fish before it gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by Skiptonian View Post
    There is fishing and fishing.

The chap probably has a mental image of you sitting on the bank of a commercial Carp puddle dangling a maggot from the comfort of your bedchair, not standing in the middle of a river fishing for Salmon.
    haha, exactly in my line of thinking, there were situations when afterwards I thought to myself 'you stupid stupid idiot, lucky to be alive again heh?'

it's not the general perception of the fishing is what I am asking for though

Know of at least two anglers that have been found dead from heart attacks on the ribble.
    One beside a salmon and the other beside a 14 pound plus sea trout.
    Suppose there's worse ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbjoe View Post
    If night fishing make sure you know the pools like the back of your hand, if fishing a beat for the first time do a full daytime recce and wade all the pools you intend to fish before it gets dark
    Very true, back to the Annan high water, I was wading just below chest high and someone walking the bank asked me if I know the pool? I answered no, he said 'you're brave'. Made me stop for a second or two before I continued!

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    Know of at least two anglers that have been found dead from heart attacks on the ribble.
    One beside a salmon and the other beside a 14 pound plus sea trout.
    Suppose there's worse ways to go.
    These fish can do that to you!

fishing or not, I always carry a small Aspirin pill. it's a savior in the early stages of heart attacks. Ticked off!

I was once pulled under by a very large branch which completely unbeknown to me had been slowly creeping up behind me following a fairly big spate. My own fault really, I should never really have been in the water, the river was still fairly big and slightly coloured and as a consequence I couldnt see the submerged branch which was being dragged downstream behind me. Took me clean off my feet and I went fully under. Absolute panic set in but I managed to get myself to my feet and out of the river. My rod was recovered a hundred yards downstream. Looking back on it now, I was bloody lucky, i could've got entangled in the branches and never seen the light of day again.

Costal shore fishing is a most dangerous activity imho. Its necessary to be really careful and alert in places for that one.
    Last edited by minitube; 06-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

If wading in unfamiliar water always have life jacket on and always have a wading stick. I sometimes fish alone but regardless always carry a two way radio, a mobile and an Acme Thunderer!. Always let someone know what river beat or loch I'm fishing on if fishing alone. If going off into the hills fishing lochs I also have my emergency pack which is very small and compact but has basic first aid kit and survival bag, blanket and one of those small powerful strobe lights (ex RAF) which can be spotted up to two miles away.......
    All common sense really.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast