Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default bubble and fly??

heard this method mentioned a few times and would like to try it as our waters aren't very suitable for casting. anyone care to share some wisdom on the method?
    oh, oh, oh......... nah another troot!!

Id be surprised if you're venue allows a float but wont allow bait?

Float and fly is really just for those who cant cast a fly line. Use a bubble float weighted with water to let you cast and set the fly/flies at depth x
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

the rivers are overgrown, lined with trees, reeds and all manners of ****, can fish them with a wee trout rod but struggle with a 10 footer.
    oh, oh, oh......... nah another troot!!

The way they fish it in Ireland is to make up a 3 fly cast, tie shrimp pattern flies on the droppers and the bubble float on the tail. The cast is at 45% upstream and the retrieve is done on a steady wind but pulling the rod tip rhythmically side to side during the retrieve. I was skeptical about it but thought I would give it a go. Two days on the River Moy and four fish landed with a lot more boils and swirls showed me that it certainly works over there. I have never tried it back here. Rainbow fishermen would call it a disturbance pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    Id be surprised if you're venue allows a float but wont allow bait?

Float and fly is really just for those who cant cast a fly line. Use a bubble float weighted with water to let you cast and set the fly/flies at depth x
    Surely you jest at that statement?
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

Check out bombarda floats ,got a few in Denmark. They have amazing action and dept control ..and great for casting long distances... Really good also for sea fishing for sea trout and bass ..would work really well with big flies tubes etc ...you cast them as if your spinning and retrieve as quickly are as slowly as you like .

Bubble floats not permitted on my association waters (ADAA).

I can imagine the set-up described above working well on large, wide rivers but would expect it to be far too noisy and splashy in a confined, small stream.

Most Angling Associations in Scotland banned the use of bubble floats years ago , some as far back as the early 70`s. They caused a lot of friction with fly fishers using fly lines because some would cast the float for miles or let them drift down the pools making it practically impossible for others to fish. A simple way to fish imo. and not a lot of skill in it. Personally wouldn`t like to see it brought back in waters where i fish. Surprised to hear that it`s still allowed on the Forth.

Over here it is common for spinner men to use bubble and fly in lower water rather than pick up a fly rod, or to just clip off their spinner at the swivel and clip on a pre made bubble and fly cast for the last couple of hours of the day in low light.
    It is even used more often for White trout fishing at night, even dedicated fly men will opt for it over their fly rods, fished in deep slow moving pools from the bank under the cover of trees.
    As for interfering with fly fishing it is not really a problem, as rules state fly fishing super proceeds all other methods, so all spinning methods either bubble and fly or spoon, salamander etc etc must reel in and move upstream from someone who is fly fishing.
    However in some cases fly men don't mind an odd bubble and fly plopping about here and there at the bottom of a pool when they are starting to fish the top of it as they say it wakens up the sleepy fish in the pool, or what that really means is, "go down there and splash about a bit, but when i get down to that stone get the **** out of my way"

I use the float and fly when im loch fishing and its a grate method like but its banned on my river but you are allowed to fish float and maggot or float and worms its crazy like
    Last edited by Stuart1108; 27-10-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast