Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default affordable salmon fishing

hi folks as stated above I am aiming to go too a few different rivers next season , can any of yous recommend any good rivers and beats to fish at affordable prices per day in Scotland ? any replies would be much appreciated

thanks davy
    Make fishin’ your mission !

What time of year? what's your budget?

around about july/august and 100 pound a day hope this helps

thanks davy

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    around about july/august and 100 pound a day hope this helps

thanks davy
    I had a fabulous time on Gallery on the N Esk in August this year for £90 per day. A well maintained beat with a knowledgable Ghillie and a hut with plenty of water, and we averaged a fish a day between 3 rods over three days. You can keep a grilse if you want too. Down side is it is largely single bank but we had no dramas with the opposition, save they liked to spin while we were flyers but I don't believe it makes much odds and we caught plenty. They tended to fish pools favouring their bank and there was loads of water for 3 rods. I would, and hopefully will, do it again.

thanks loxie I will take note of that where do you get your day tickets from ?

davy

July is a difficult month for a day trip from the central belt. Had to arrange a work BD day in for July/August this year and struggled to find something that suited.

Dochfour on the Ness, if you can manage the trip up, does day rods and is good. North Esk is a good bet, as mentioned. Day rods on the Spey might be productive, but someone else will know better than me about these.

An alternative is save yourself a bit of cash (or have two days!) and go and fish the Annan. Newbie is a good shout and is only £25-30 in July/August. The river needs water generally, but Newbie is the least dependent on this being at the bottom.
    Twitter: @CalumRaine - pictures & commentary on salmon fishing.

Blog: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    thanks loxie I will take note of that where do you get your day tickets from ?

davy
    A mate of mine sorted them out, but contact is Neil at Angus Angling who is, I believe, on the Forum, if not is contactable at the shop. I don't know what availability is like but I would give him a ring anyway. I found him very helpful and I'm sure he will steer you right.

thanks guys will look into the annan aswel QuarterPounderWithFries

davy

Default River Ericht

If there are fish in, the Ericht is worth a go. Roger McCosh owns two nice beats near Bridge of Cally. The huts are a little primitive but do have cooking facilities and you can park very near them. It is a tumbling Highland stream and there is a pool on the lower beat where you can fish to your heart's content sitting on a huge rock, as my disabled pal does. You will get away with a trout rod of 11' at some points, and actually such a rod is more practical where trees overhang the pools. The wading can be decidedly rough, so take a wading stick and a self-inflating safety collar. The home pool on the first beat is easy wading for the most part, and very worth while in the right conditions. But mark this, in high summer, in low water, all you may catch is a sun-tan. A good fly here is the Silver Ally's, tied on size 14 Esmond Drury trebles. When I can find my fishing book, I will PM you the contact number.

Hi Davey. A sizeable enough budget to provide a wide range of options.

You can get a lot of 'low season' options on more famous rivers (resisted saying better) or 'high season' options on less famous waters for that.

The problem with a lot of the more famous waters is that in my experience its difficult to get a day for one. You either need to book a minimum of 3 days or have a minimum of 3 rods. For a number of winters I've trawled through fishpal for the big 4 without finding what I'm looking for. I've been fortunate to get in with a group who take a week in a middle tweed beat in August. Its a 3 rod beat and 6 of us have 3 days each. That's about £70 a day.

I've also joined an association on the Nith and get a season for £175. Varies between £20 and £40 a day depending on month (and its open to the end of November).

I'm sure there are many similar options around the country. I only have limited exposure north of the border at present though continue to work on extending that. So much water, so little time.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but its a difficult nut to crack.

I read on another thread that you were just getting back into the salmon game. I hope it rewards you for your time away.