Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Name that fly (please)

Please can any one help in finding the name for tube fly.

It is simply buck tail red/white/blue equal split on tube. I was recommended it for the tweed last year and put it on on Tuesday on the north Tyne and had a fish on the 3rd cast with it, I then went and lost it straight away after releasing the fish! Typical!

Thanks for any help

Nathan

I think it's just called a White Wing if memory serves.
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Patriot is the name-Red,White and Blue,good for low light with the white,blue is something different against the leaves and the red is a good Autumn colour anyway.As ever for Autumn flee's pick nice strong colours if you are going to tie yourself.I believe its a flee of Tweed origination,best tied on tubes,body is nothing more than black floss with a silver rib.
    The whole flee will stand out in low light,dirty water and against general in river dross-particularly dead leaves of which from now onwards we'll be getting plenty in the rivers and when Salar has seen a procession of Wullie G's,Black n Yellows etc. it can be a refreshing change.
    With imagination it transgresses very well into a stacked wing temple doggy type of flee for those who do like something different!!.
    Tight lines,Pedro.

Here's a link. I think that's the fly you were after. Also called a Patriot as noted in the post above.

http://www.bordersgunroom.co.uk/Whit...90/PRAA767.htm

(I've no connection with the shop - it looks like the stock picture you'll find on Caledonia Flies (to which I've no connection either)). I just thought the picture would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Patriot is the name-Red,White and Blue,good for low light with the white,blue is something different against the leaves and the red is a good Autumn colour anyway.As ever for Autumn flee's pick nice strong colours if you are going to tie yourself.I believe its a flee of Tweed origination,best tied on tubes,body is nothing more than black floss with a silver rib.
    The whole flee will stand out in low light,dirty water and against general in river dross-particularly dead leaves of which from now onwards we'll be getting plenty in the rivers and when Salar has seen a procession of Wullie G's,Black n Yellows etc. it can be a refreshing change.
    With imagination it transgresses very well into a stacked wing temple doggy type of flee for those who do like something different!!.
    Tight lines,Pedro.
    Thank for this , all very interesting and thanks to you all for your response. That link to boarder gun room in the exact tube. I will order from them. As said I had tried red flys and tubes all day (like most others) and then out this on and bang! Maybe luck but didn't seem like that! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    Thank for this , all very interesting and thanks to you all for your response. That link to boarder gun room in the exact tube. I will order from them. As said I had tried red flys and tubes all day (like most others) and then out this on and bang! Maybe luck but didn't seem like that! Thanks again
    Makes a change for you - usually on the prawn

Default Searching my memory

I am pretty sure that Rob Wilson of Brora used to carry a fly like this, which he called the Pilkington, dressed on his own wire Waddington-style shanks.