Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Cane Rod Value

Default Cane Rod Value

Found this going through the old mans gear. Think its a Sharpe split cane, possibly from the 50s or 60s. Anyone any idea of the value of it?

Only markings on it are J Sharpe, 2338.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images 20150512_190909-jpg 20150512_190920-jpg 20150512_190855-jpg 20150512_190843-jpg 
    Last edited by rrw35; 20-10-2015 at 05:50 PM.

TonyPrior Guest

Searching online it's easy enough to date the rod to the year and month using the serial number stamped on the butt.
    If the top section has been shortened, as appears from the photo to have happened, you'd be doing well to find a buyer.
    A 9'6" in perfect condition with the original bag might make 60-75 on eBay (though traders often ask 100 or more).

You do not give the length of the rod but going by the reel fitting it is a double handed salmon rod.
    The most popular length was 14'.
    The Sharpes of Aberdeen Scottie Impregnated was state of the art in its day and are much sought after by collectors now. It was a much better rod than the Hardy equivalent. I would not be selling it for less than 100 and depending on condition it could be worth a fair bit more.

Can't see the pictures?

At the Angling Auctions March Sale two Scottie 13ft 9 rods sold for 150 the pair, guide price was 120-180. In the Oct auction a pair of 12ft 8/9 Scotties sold for 190, estimate also 120-180 Have a look through the last couple of catalogues together with the prices paid sheet to find more examples. Cane rods do not go for much and condition is v. important. See Archive / Angling Auctions for the catalogues, check dates on the front (Oct 15 is currently wrongly labeled Oct 16). Open catalogue and prices in separate windows so you can compare on screen...........
    Last edited by JulyTourist; 21-10-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Confused data, now corrected

Default Still using Cane!

My double handed cane rods are still very much in use, and that's fishing 50-60 outings per season. My regular rod is a Sharpe's Aberdeen 12' 0" ferruled one, with its twin as a back up. Provided the ferrules are reasonably tight (if they are not, just wrap insulating tape around the joints), and the rings are free from corrosion, use it and enjoy it! OK they are heavy, but even with back problems, I can fish happily for 6 or more hours a day.

Once you get used to the slower action of a cane rod, it is very forgiving, and although I have only ever used a glass rod rather than cane (on the Tweed), never used a carbon one, the real pleasure of using cane has sustained me as a salmon fisher for more than 50 years and 400+ fish. Playing a fish with a cane rod is also a revelation - this year I have used my 12' 6" Hardy Hollolight all through the spring, and it dealt beautifully with strong springers up to 13lbs - usually I switch to the Sharpe's rods in the summer/autumn, but the lack of rain has put the kybosh on that, at least until tomorrow!

The only problem I have had with both of the Sharpe's has been the aluminium butt end cap which has disintegrated - my solution for both has been simply to replace with a walking stick rubber end.

In terms of value, I would expect (and be reasonably happy) to pay around 75-100 for a Sharpe's 12'0" rod in good condition (esp the rings). Mine will hopefully see me out!!

Never used a carbon fly rod. that is amazing, I doubt if anyone else on the Forum could claim that, although I suppose loads of people will now be on to prove me wrong.
    Do you still use them with Kingfisher lines or more modern ones?

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    Never used a carbon fly rod. that is amazing, I doubt if anyone else on the Forum could claim that, although I suppose loads of people will now be on to prove me wrong.
    Do you still use them with Kingfisher lines or more modern ones?
    I used the Kingfisher lines until mid-1970s - well remember having to string them out across the garden to dry after an outing. Those lines always seemed to go 'tacky' after a few years, however carefully one looked after them. After trying various brands of plastic lines, I have found for the past 25-30 years that the Cortland Classic (blue) WF Intermediate is about the nearest I can get to the Kingfisher for fly presentation. Problem is that nowadays it is getting increasingly difficult to find an Intermediate WF10, which is what loads the cane rod best (and also did fine for Tweed use of my B&W Cairngorm glass rod). My current blue line is the last one that I have, now in its second season, and I have a clear camo one sitting in the drawer in waiting! Not sure how that will suit, as I like to be able to see the line as it comes around.
    Finished my Doon (Ayrshire) season today, but didn't actually have a cast as it was dirty and rising fast! Now only left with the Urr until end of November, before we start 2016 under the Category 3 restrictions, although Doon, for no apparent reason, is Cat 1 - the only river on the western side of the country to achieve that. Strange times!