Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Mist on the river.

When you get mist forming over the river do you normally carry on fishing with success ??
    Normally when this occurs my confidence drops and if iv not connected after half hour or so I usually call it a day. However this year in August I was fishing the Lakselv, the pool I was fishing was a decent walk and when I arrived I had the pool to myself, unfortunately there was the mist covering the river. I decided to fish on as I had walked so far. Just as well, I took 2 fish from the pool.
    My normal feelings towards a mist or haar, is that the air is cooler than the water, making the salmon reluctant to move up the water column and take a fly.
    Am I correct in my assumption that mist on the water is not a good thing ??

Generally, mist on the water is not good but like you say sometimes there are exceptions. I can remember one evening just as it was starting to get dark mist started to form on the pool I was fishing. I was thinking of quitting and heading back to the hut for a dram when I hooked a fish. I fished on and ended up with 2 salmon and 2 sea trout in the next hour before it got dark. When I got back to the hut my fellow anglers were all there and well in to a bottle of whisky after stopping fishing when the mist came down. They were all fishless so you just never know.

There's a song in there somewhere, well almost

There is mist on the river and ****** on the river. The latter is better.

Are we talking mist as in fog or haar?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I do understand the different types of mist.
    I think Im correct here ,in that inland mist on the river, is caused by the air temperature being colder than the water temperature.
    This can make the fish reluctant to move from their lies up through the water to take a fly.
    I think a haar is more a mist that rolls in from the sea, caused by warmer air from the land mixing with the colder air from the sea, the water globules in the air changes to a fog. Not exactly a scientist but I think Iv got the basic picture as to whats going on.

At the moment on the Tyne there's a mist quite often in the late evening, but that's the time the fish have taken my fly (sea trout). Air temperature is only a little higher than water temperature during the day and as it falls to the night's levels it goes below the water temperature. But we all think that the dying hours of the day are good? So not sure of the story re air and water temperatures. Perhaps it refers more to the weather systems that cause that rather than the moment to moment temperature relationship.

Didn't bother this fish caught on the North Tyne !img_1174-jpg

I was told not to bother fishing when there was mist formed over the river but to wait until the air temperature was higher than the water temperature. I often arrived at the Lune quite early so just tackled up and waited until the mist had cleared. Looking at my catch record this situation occurred at least 30-40 times over the years.