Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Allowing for mow tip weight on skandi/skagit heads

When using MOW tips T11, T14, T17 etc of Skandi, Skagit heads do you have to allow for the weight of these tips when selecting a line to match rod,
    IE do you need to drop down on the head weight to compensate for the MOW Tip
    Or should the rod handle the tips on the recommended line weight.
    Whats the average weight of a MOW tip?

Does it not depend on if the cast is water born or not?
    I believe skagits take no account of the tip. Spey and scandis do?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Snap T , Spey or Double Spey, No overhead ,

Waterbourne casts only,snaps,C's,perry pokes and double speys!!no singles and no snakes with a skagit if you want recomendations!!,if your skagit head is 540gr and above it should easily cast any of the mow tips light or heavy,if any lower than 540gr i would stick to the recomended mow weight ie light or medium,as a t tip or mow tip should be viewed as a leader and as such should land i front of the casters casting shoulder it and its weight plays no part(or little)in the weight in the d loop as its all behind the casters casting shoulder,in short its only line thats behind you thats used to load the rod!
    Last edited by dexterbuchanan1; 20-10-2015 at 07:59 AM.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

MOW tips are intended for use only on Skagit lines.

With a skagit line you balance the weight of the Skagit body to the rod you are using and you do not take into account the weight of the tip. If a rod works well with a 540gr Skagit then it will also have the weight of the tip to be added to this.

Typically Skagit tips will be around 10'-15' in length and weigh between 120gr-250gr.

Dont make the mistake of adding Skagit body and tip together then looking alarmingly at the total weight which might be say 700gr and panicing because your rod only casts a 550gr or 36g Scandi line. As has been pointed out, proper Skagit set-ups are never meant or designed to be cast either overhead, snake roll or single spey, they are intended purely for waterborne anchor casts, i.e. circle spey/snap T, double spey or Perry poke.

Because of the weight distribution within a skagit system it wont load the rod like a true 700r Scandi line would, hence it needs to be heavier to handle the tip and the casts its expected to perform. Also its best to avoid the fast actioned rods often associated with Scandi lines, they do not work as well with Skagits as rods with a medium or slow action.

Should the overall length of the head, including whatever tip I choose, be typically about three to three and a half times the length of the rod
    The rods 12,9 rated S.H 28 32GRMS

From 2.75 to 3.25 is a general rule I would say, depending on how nasty (fast sinking) the tip is. There is no absolute rule here, if you find that casting 3.5 works then fine, this can be possible.