Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13

Default Just back from the Tay

Just got back from three days on the Tay. It was my last trip of the season and I caught two fish. So a poor season finished well. On the negative side there was a German chap on the beat with me and he caught six and lost three! He didn't look as if he was doing much different to me but he was using one of these three density shooting heads F/H/I type where I was using a floater with a 15' inter head. Is there much difference in the fly presentation between these lines? I assume my fly is only fishing 6-9 in under the surface would his be fishing any deeper. He was using a 3m line (I think) and if there is a different presentation which shooting head would you suggest. For reference I use a 15' 1" zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Just got back from three days on the Tay. It was my last trip of the season and I caught two fish. So a poor season finished well. On the negative side there was a German chap on the beat with me and he caught six and lost three! He didn't look as if he was doing much different to me but he was using one of these three density shooting heads F/H/I type where I was using a floater with a 15' inter head. Is there much difference in the fly presentation between these lines? I assume my fly is only fishing 6-9 in under the surface would his be fishing any deeper. He was using a 3m line (I think) and if there is a different presentation which shooting head would you suggest. For reference I use a 15' 1" zenith.
    Well done on your fish!!

Have a few of these triple D lines and from my experience, they do seem to go down like a stone.

I may be wrong and will be interesting to see others experience, however suspect your German pals fly was swimming a bit deeper than your own.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

As much as owt Gibbo,its the angle the line swings through in the water and how level your flee fishes,also a 3D line will swing a bit slower(there's more of it sub surface!).You could have put a clear Inty or Green poly on the end of your line and then your cast and achieved pretty much the same depth.If you were on a full line it would fish round a bit quicker than a shooting head too.
    I too have a few of the Float Inty. type of shooting head and I'm pretty confident in using them especially with a poly on the end or even a Flurocarbon tapered leader if I don't want to fish too deep.
    The Guideline 3D heads are pretty spot on,a 10/11 would be ideal for your Zenith,you'll have to trim the back end to suit the weight for your rod and fit a loop,there's already a tip loop fitted.
    The Triple D lines in general are all pretty good for all the manufacturers,it will boil down to your favourite really,however the Guideline I feel is more versatile than say the Rio which is a finer taper!.
    Best of luck,Pedro.

I was a guest on the tweed once and had the pleasure of fishing with a real expert. I mean this in a nice way as he was a lovely bloke, by christ he could cast, and he knew every part of the beat, down to the last stone. He fished a long pool in front of me twice down. Then when through it again with a single hander and some real small flees to no avail. We had lunch and I had a blast. I was a bit embarrassed to have him watch as my casting and fishing ability is not worth an audience. However, a few casts in...fish on and landed. few more casts, fish on and landed. My point is, you have considered your line, your presentation, your ability, but you have left out LUCK, which I think makes up most of our fishing success and is something John Norris is yet to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckynotgood View Post
    I was a guest on the tweed once and had the pleasure of fishing with a real expert. I mean this in a nice way as he was a lovely bloke, by christ he could cast, and he knew every part of the beat, down to the last stone. He fished a long pool in front of me twice down. Then when through it again with a single hander and some real small flees to no avail. We had lunch and I had a blast. I was a bit embarrassed to have him watch as my casting and fishing ability is not worth an audience. However, a few casts in...fish on and landed. few more casts, fish on and landed. My point is, you have considered your line, your presentation, your ability, but you have left out LUCK, which I think makes up most of our fishing success and is something John Norris is yet to stock.

yes agree with this. sometime it can just be your day

it's like the bloke who tries to match his fly to the one that caught the last fish. Snipping off a bit of hackle as his is a bit longer then the deadly fly his pals just hooked up on. Two things to bear in mind.....the fly just happened to swim past a fish that liked the look of it and was in a taking mood. Secondly, the taking fish that liked that fly has just been caught! Far to much science put behind this fly dangling stuff.