Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default river avon, banffshire

Does anyone know if kylnadrochit lodge still have water on the avon, I have phoned the lodge and left messages etc but no replies.

I've done the same over the last 5 years. Are they permanently ******?

To be fair, i think there have been some major changes up from Ballindalloch to Tomintoul but getting information is friggin' hard!

Default avon

yes it must be 5 years I,ve been trying of and on, you would think somebody would pick up, I used to fish their in the eighties mrs van holten ran the fishing then and we stopped at the lodge, great times and lovely water, heard the whole river has gone fly only?

Default Avon info

Try this link from Fishpal, you will get some info under the Avon section.

Default avon

thanks for replies, kylnadrochit water started bottom of tomintoul stretch, and finished at start of Richmond hotel water, not listed on fishpal site

Quote Originally Posted by shawcy View Post
    yes it must be 5 years I,ve been trying of and on, you would think somebody would pick up, I used to fish their in the eighties mrs van holten ran the fishing then and we stopped at the lodge, great times and lovely water, heard the whole river has gone fly only?
    As far as I'm aware no it hasn't. Ballindalloch is fly only and the bit they share with the other bank is too. Every where else I think is still worm fly and spinner until you get to Inchrory Lodge (Glenavon) which is most certainly fly only.

Quote Originally Posted by shawcy View Post
    Sorry it's an old post but I knew the Aven intimately. A pal of mine a farmer who has been on BBC's The Farming Life =Jonny Irvine and his son Raymond ( close to Tomintoul) know all there is to know re fishing that river and the permits etc. The last three years and more has been disastrous says another farmer pal of mine at Ballindalloch. The French blokes still plod on fishing there next to the 'Dutchman's' water but they don't catch a deal. If my pal at Ballindalloch says what he did it sounds like it's not worth the effort as it used to be..... I heard one frenchman still loves it (three years ago) but he might know more than most re his skill.?????? It has proved one thing that it was not the wormers who destroyed the fishing because I fished the fly for sea trout and salmon when I wormed as the others did. The river was full of fish at times but seemed to go downhill when I paid an extortionate amount to catch one little grilse ( in Polly) which I gave to my farmer pal where I stayed.....
    He said I'll put it in the freeze for you Mick.... I said you eat it Will =there's a few more where that came from...... I never saw a fin all the next week. The big boats have in my view been the culprits and the netters who have been greedy..... never the rods who have done it in. The rivers in North wales which I know so well now have nothing in them to fish for. A farmer near Pontllyfni tells me he loved fishing the LLyfni but he added you'd be wasting your time now there's nowt in it....... Glasllyn does still have some sea trout I hear.

I have fished the A'an in late May now for thirty five years. A beautiful highland river. As mentioned above the river was stuffed with fish in the early years and what a sad, sad decline I've witnessed. Polly was arguably the best pool on the entire river and the first thing you looked for when the beat rota arrived. It's tragic actually, just tragic.

It seems patently obvious the decline has been more than the river conditions themselves because I hear that water flowing from the land is monitored more than ever before. The Llyfni farmer said 'they' have always blamed us for the deteriation in the numbers of fish in the river but I think there may well be several factors not least the better sonar that is on the commercial boats nowdays.
    The operators can see what amounts to be a video of the fish they are looking for.
    Another serious item is the reaping of the basic salmon and sea trout food re the crustations and I'm flabergasted this is allowed by the Norwegeans.
    Off Criccieth when there are few makerelwe don't see a Dolphin........ Why should we when we ask ourselves there's nowt there to eat!
    Falcus was right when he said if the present trend (1980's) contunues these beautiful fish will become extinct.....