Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dublin Conference on Hatcheries

Salmon Watch Ireland is holding a a conference on 21st November in Dublin on that topic which causes hot dispute amongst anglers scientists fisheries and IFI. Hatcheries and stocking. €30 -conference limited to 150 places.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/hatcheri...tm_term=attend

‘Hatcheries and stocking – have they a role in restoring Atlantic salmon stocks?’
    Salmon Watch Ireland
    Saturday, 21 November 2015 from 11:00 to 17:00 (GMT)
    Dublin 4, Ireland

Can hatcheries restore Irelands dwindling Atlantic salmon stocks? The conference will investigate the potential of stocking and how or indeed if it can be used to help restore Irelands dwindling stocks of Atlantic salmon.
    Speakers will include Dr David Solomon, consultant on salmonid fish and fisheries, Professor Carlos Garcia de Laeniz, University of Swansea, Dr Mick Millane, Inland Fisheries Ireland and Dr Stephen Marsh- Smith, Wye and Usk Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    Salmon Watch Ireland is holding a a conference on 21st November in Dublin on that topic which causes hot dispute amongst anglers scientists fisheries and IFI. Hatcheries and stocking. €30 -conference limited to 150 places.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/hatcheri...tm_term=attend

‘Hatcheries and stocking – have they a role in restoring Atlantic salmon stocks?’
    Salmon Watch Ireland
    Saturday, 21 November 2015 from 11:00 to 17:00 (GMT)
    Dublin 4, Ireland

Can hatcheries restore Irelands dwindling Atlantic salmon stocks? The conference will investigate the potential of stocking and how or indeed if it can be used to help restore Irelands dwindling stocks of Atlantic salmon.
    Speakers will include Dr David Solomon, consultant on salmonid fish and fisheries, Professor Carlos Garcia de Laeniz, University of Swansea, Dr Mick Millane, Inland Fisheries Ireland and Dr Stephen Marsh- Smith, Wye and Usk Foundation.
    Yes, and without getting into various other issues such as sea lice from fish farms, etc., hatcheries could/ would be effective if they released juveniles reared to smolt stage.

What's the point if they can't control legal and illegal netting coupled with the expansion of fish farms.

Get these areas under control then maybe you can think about hatcheries and restocking programs.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Oh dear. Here we go again.

I look forward to hearing about their conclusions.

I'm booked in anyway. Interested myself.

Default conference on hatcheries

There has been a hatchery on the ballinderry now for the best part of 25 years and I don't see much difference in the river now and what it was like back then for both salmon and trout . Maybe it's down till who's running the hatchery and whether or not they are seeding out the fry into the same river or not ? Just take a look at lough erne and the great taking trout the marble arch hatchery is putting out

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    What's the point if they can't control legal and illegal netting coupled with the expansion of fish farms.

Get these areas under control then maybe you can think about hatcheries and restocking programs.
    Your view and one commonly held. By all means come to the conference and air it. That's what its about.

Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    Your view and one commonly held. By all means come to the conference and air it. That's what its about.
    I will not be there.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by kgm; 14-10-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

I hope to get there but expect that it may generate more heat than light. I remember someone at a meeting likening the attitude of some fishery scientists to hatcheries as being on a par with a 1980s cardinal's views on test tube babies...........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast