Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 100% C+R....restrctions lifted???

assuming that on many rivers where C+R will be 100% that restrictions on using prawn and shrimp will be lifted? After all, all the fish will be returned? (This on non fly only sections)

Hi Kreid

I would imagine probably not.
    Amongst the WFR report a section mentions that the use of baits and lures is to be looked into. Which I think means something else is on the agenda to be banned/controlled rather then allowing the reintroduction of a currently banned method.
    Shame really as I never had the opportunity to utilise prawn or shrimp so feel that my salmon fishing experience will never be fully complete

Though I am really quite enjoying the fly at present and just wish a Salmon would let me land it for a bloody picture or by george it will be back to the worm for you slippery silver tourists

i dont think anyone involved in policy making on the WFR and fishery boards have a man or woman amongst them who has the foresight to suggest that ,that is a valid point !

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

IMHO it's more likely that any 100% C&R restrictions will be lifted... based on science
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by kreid View Post
    assuming that on many rivers where C+R will be 100% that restrictions on using prawn and shrimp will be lifted? After all, all the fish will be returned? (This on non fly only sections)
    don't worry about prawns and shrimps, since they're all going back I'm going to start with salmon eggs in the spring

eh? How you goin to get them if its 100% C+R lol ??? Just think that if all fish have to go back, surely any method should go. A club could make a section fly only or whatever if the members wanted , but otherwise...any method?
    PS, I am for C+R , I do a lot of coarse / grayling fishing, they all go back. Salmon no different really. No doubt some returned fish will die anyway, but a helluva lot more will live. I have recaptured big pike months after catching them the 1st time, some of the UKs biggest carp have names and you'd be in serious trouble if you killed one! Or allowed one to die due to a lack of care. NB, this is 1 area where some salmon anglers (especially) could improve. Some of the handling / fish care I see is pretty brutal. Decent coarse anglers will really look after a tench or pike or grayling. I have seen salmon anglers land a really coloured fish and literally throw it back.
    Last edited by kreid; 13-10-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Been on the river bank for too many years to state here, and have yet to see a Salmon/Trout angler being brutal to a salmon or Trout by throwing it back in a non sporting way .

In fact what I have seen, is guys literally freezing their hands off, holding salmon in cold water (Spring in particular) just to allow a fish to gain its strength and get back safely.

I've seen grown men almost in tears because they couldn't revive a fish or because it was badly bleeding and had to be despatched. Never have I seen any salmon badly treated.

I've never really done any form of course fishing other than a bit of piking as a lad but i have watched it many times on tv all through my life and from what I've saw, when a course angler catches a specimen pike/carp etc the unhooking mat and weigh sling etc comes out, keeping the fish out of water longer than it should be. You'll never see any salmon fisherman go through this procedure. No matter the size of the salmon, it will back in the water recovering as quickly as possible so no I don't agree that salmon fisherman can learn anything in that respect from course anglers.
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    Been on the river bank for too many years to state here, and have yet to see a Salmon/Trout angler being brutal to a salmon or Trout by throwing it back in a non sporting way .

In fact what I have seen, is guys literally freezing their hands off, holding salmon in cold water (Spring in particular) just to allow a fish to gain its strength and get back safely.
    I agree Kenny.
    On the acceptable lure front, quite the reverse in fact.
    It is likely that only single hooks will be allowed, only barbless and many types of lures will never see the light of day again.
    Salmon angling will change forever so don't sit back and let it happen, get your submission in-------now.
    B.T.W. Seeking is correct. Bad science will be the source of any possible downfall of the W.F.R. not complaints about lures.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Kingfisher, just look back to opening day on the tay a couple of years ago now, on the tv it was as well. Fish were roughly treated. People wrote about it. You really haven't seen any bad fish care? I've seen anglers hud fish up by the tails, drop them, chuck them back (literally), what else, oh, deliberately fish for kelts, drag fish across stones and gravel, and then (on a positive note) release them. Fate unknown I agree. I have also seen some very good fish care by salmon anglers. BTW a pike will live a lot longer out of water than a salmon ( or any salmonid)will, carp even longer. Pike most certainly DO respond to C+R and we get repeat captures which prove it. I am not saying they all survive but a chap on the heed generally gives them less chance. Not so sure a badly bleeding salmon would survive for long but what do you do? Some people wid just deliberately make them bleed so they could keep them. Don't say it wouldn't happen. It would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast