Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Isle of Lewis + Dumfries
    Posts
    199

    Default Why should you never strike a salmon?

    One of the first things I learned when I came to salmon fishing with a fly, was never to strike as if you are trout fishing... Always give the salmon line (around 3secs) then lift into it. I done this with my own salmon and the hook was set perfectly, both hooks firmly into the mouth of the salmon safe and secure, but why is this? I'm curious.

    Finlay


    One day... I'll fish the Junction Pool.
    Last edited by FinlayTFishing; 12-10-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    One day I'll fish the Junction pool Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Yorks
    Posts
    3,890

    Default Strike?

    Finlay,

    have a look at Crash! Bang! Pluck! - The Dynamics of a Take on Just One Week. This may help you to visualise what is going on at the far end.

    The key point is that more often than not the salmon hooks itself. For your part avoid doing anything too forceful or hasty, and accept the fact that a proportion will always get off.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    BURGH WATERS DUMFRIES
    Posts
    1,774

    Default

    smaller mouths than trout and of my bloody loses ithink i explained first time i met u mabey didnt

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Isle of Lewis + Dumfries
    Posts
    199

    Default Why should you never strike a salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Finlay,

    have a look at Crash! Bang! Pluck! - The Dynamics of a Take on Just One Week. This may help you to visualise what is going on at the far end.

    The key point is that more often than not the salmon hooks itself. For your part avoid doing anything too forceful or hasty, and accept the fact that a proportion will always get off.
    Thanks a lot! So it seems a lot depends of how the salmon takes the fly as well! Very interesting.


    One day... I'll fish the Junction Pool.
    Last edited by FinlayTFishing; 12-10-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    One day I'll fish the Junction pool Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Isle of Lewis + Dumfries
    Posts
    199

    Default Why should you never strike a salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLWAYSALMO View Post
    smaller mouths than trout and of my bloody loses ithink i explained first time i met u mabey didnt
    Thanks SS! Don't think so but can't remember myself lol.


    One day... I'll fish the Junction Pool.
    Last edited by FinlayTFishing; 12-10-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    One day I'll fish the Junction pool Hidden Content

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    BURGH WATERS DUMFRIES
    Posts
    1,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FinlayTFishing View Post
    salmon takes the fly as well. Very interesting
    Hooked for life noo arent e told e

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Finlay,

    have a look at Crash! Bang! Pluck! - The Dynamics of a Take on Just One Week. This may help you to visualise what is going on at the far end.

    The key point is that more often than not the salmon hooks itself. For your part avoid doing anything too forceful or hasty, and accept the fact that a proportion will always get off.

    Good stuff in the link.
    However most of my fly caught salmon have been taken at very close range and I guess I've seen at least half of them take (the same is true for my spinning). I would say that if you can see the fish turn away or down with the fly then there is no harm at all in striking. If you saw a trout take a fly you wouldn't stand there with your tumb up yer **** looking at it, you would lift into it and I see no reason not to do the same with a salmon! Of course fishing at very close range you don't have the drag from yards of fly line in the current to help pull the hooks in.

    But I would agree that if you can't see what is happening you are best off doing nothing.

    Interesting that you mention the slackening of the line with many takes. When upstream spinning very often the first indication of a fish is a momentary slackening before the thump. The very last thing you should do on feeling this slackening is to stop winding!


    Andy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Need to get one on first before I need to make that decision, but there's always next time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Yorks
    Posts
    3,890

    Default Strike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Westcountry View Post
    Good stuff in the link.
    However most of my fly caught salmon have been taken at very close range and I guess I've seen at least half of them take (the same is true for my spinning). I would say that if you can see the fish turn away or down with the fly then there is no harm at all in striking. If you saw a trout take a fly you wouldn't stand there with your tumb up yer **** looking at it, you would lift into it and I see no reason not to do the same with a salmon! Of course fishing at very close range you don't have the drag from yards of fly line in the current to help pull the hooks in.

    But I would agree that if you can't see what is happening you are best off doing nothing.

    Interesting that you mention the slackening of the line with many takes. When upstream spinning very often the first indication of a fish is a momentary slackening before the thump. The very last thing you should do on feeling this slackening is to stop winding!


    Andy
    I spent my earliest years fishing a very small Devon river with a single handed rod at point-blank range, so I concur with what you say in that context. When you can see what's going on - as you do with dry flies - it's a different game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Foxford, Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    2,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    I spent my earliest years fishing a very small Devon river with a single handed rod at point-blank range, so I concur with what you say in that context. When you can see what's going on - as you do with dry flies - it's a different game.
    Yes, there are times when its a different game. I nymph fish for salmon and grilse sometimes using both New Zealand style in fast water, and Itchen induced take style in slow water. On the induced take an instant strike is essential, otherwise the fish rejects the fly immediately. While I just can't see what is going on in fast water using New Zealand style many takes are a very fast slamming take from the fish tightening everything immediately hooking itself in the process, otherwise all others are struck if the line stops. I use a dropper and don't tie the bottom fly to the bend of the first hook.
    Last edited by minitube; 13-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •