Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Scottish West Coast Rivers 100% catch and release proposal

If this proposal goes through for 2016 should we be using barbless/debarbed hooks to reduce damage to fish on West coast rivers?

shouldn't be fishing atoll if there in that bad a state of decline

Default Fishings

Quote Originally Posted by auldsalmon View Post
    shouldn't be fishing atoll if there in that bad a state of decline
    That's coming I fear

Nothing stopping an angler from pinching down the barbs on their hooks if they so wish. I would hate to see barbless become mandatory.

It really is a sick in the head this proposal i am going to lose a few old fishing buddies of all ages if this goes through and these guys are the hero's of our sport i have learned mountains from these guys and warn this will not work even less anglers which catches even more diminished then all the rivers will be closed its total madness

The Lochy is already catch and release by choice of the river management unless I am mistaken?

Default West Coast C&R

Most rivers are now either 100% or at least trying for 100% C&R. However, the new proposals will have you putting back fish that cannot swim away and might well die. You can take the blanket West Coast cat 3 as an admission that fish farming has killed off some rivers, but the Scottish government is so in bed with the industry that nothing will get changed. It is going to turn some anglers who like a bit of salmon for the family into liars. With no public figures per farm on sea lice available, and no way of knowing if lice control is working other than the industry's word (Wrasse etc) then we have I fear been royaly fecked over and anglers will just abandon the sport. While some West coast rivers are in a long term decline, many have just had the best summer fishing in 30yrs so the legislation is a knock.