Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help for a 15 year old lad with Autism, Glasgow area

Just wondering if anyone knows of any organisations, or individuals, who could assist a young person enjoy the therapeutic benefits of fishing ( any branch of angling). I can find possible sources of help south of the Border, but this lad lives by Glasgow.
    Due to his autism, he has few if any friends, but recently he has shown a strong interest in fishing, following a school visit to some local lakes. His family are non-anglers, and are keen for him to take up the sport, hence my request.

I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info on the web about autism societys and organisations that will point you in the right direction..
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Do you need any gear for this lad/lass?
    Last edited by DDOCH1; 12-10-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOCH1 View Post
    Do you need any gear for this lad/lass?
    His parents want to buy him some tackle for his birthday, but I have told them to hold off, until we know what sort of fishing he wants to start with, or is able to access. cheers

I may be able to help. My son has Autism so I have plenty experience in it. Can you pm me some more details.

Cheers Diarmid.

I can pass on a wee 7ft shakespeare spinning reel/rod combo and some lures bag etc to help get them started.

My kit from when i was a nipper just lying in the cupboard now.

let me know if any use i live in Glasgow so no problem dropping off/meet up if required

There is a fishing for children with Autism group in Northamptonshire. I know that is a long way from you but you might be able to get ideas/support etc from them re any groups close to you guys, approaches etc. Info is at Action For Aspergers - Fishing Club For Young People On The Autism Spectrum

I could dig out some lures or flies if he wants to go down that route. I've got a boat fishing net too. Its big so maybe a little to much for a youngster but it's here. PM me if that's of interest.
    Last edited by Dryfly; 13-10-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for your advice, and kind offers. I'll respond by p.m. soon. It seems he has been to an any-method trout fishery, and can't stop talking about it. Maybe we could have a future fly fishing maestro! His nan has told me that due to his condition and difficulties in relating to others, helping him is an unpredictable and challenging experience. I'm sure fishing could be an ideal hobby for him.

More than happy to contribute tackle if that helps ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast