Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default running desperate

The river I fish has been on summer low levels since somewhere near august and as expected there had been a back up of fish fresh and clean. On Monday night it came up around 2ft but dropped back a foot and a half in by Friday,
    now the observation I have made is as follows initial rise and next day we're mostly un fishable a couple caught on day three then in lower but imo perfect water thrs and fri plenty fish seen but not looking at anything.
    My point is due to the time of year my feelings are the fish have now no other option but to run and get to the redds as if they don't they might miss spawning and I think they can sense that this month is going to be dry for the most part
    I was covering fish that in normal would be takers but these things were just motoring past at a height where they usually stop on a bit in this particular area
    The eve b4 the rise I managed 5 fish in 2 hours. Upon checking sepa when I got back it had slowly started to rise unnoticed by me
    has anyone had a similar experience
    craig
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

5fish in 2 hours?????????

Of course, every time I go fishing

Had it a couple of times on the Garry. On one occasion we had seen nothing for hours then around 7pm fish appeared from nowhere, hammering flies and lures every other cast, we hooked 8 fish in an hour or so (lost every one of them&#128534 we didn't notice until the next morning that the water had came up!

Still not sure if I enjoyed myself or not!?!?
    Last edited by Method man; 10-10-2015 at 07:49 PM.

This has happened to me once on the deveron the first 6" 3fish then another just before it got into an oxtail soup then off but fish were still running hard seen heaps of them pushing on that was 2011 wish I could turn back the time in my delorean

It happened on the Wear yesterday.
    Lots of fish showing,but definitely not in the mood to take anything.
    The same happened last year when we got the first decent lift after a long dry spell.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Quote Originally Posted by Method man View Post
    5fish in 2 hours?????????

Of course, every time I go fishing

Had it a couple of times on the Garry. On one occasion we had seen nothing for hours then around 7pm fish appeared from nowhere, hammering flies and lures every other cast, we hooked 8 fish in an hour or so (lost every one of them&#128534 we didn't notice until the next morning that the water had came up!

Still not sure if I enjoyed myself or not!?!?
    The fish were bar a clean hen 8lb all cocks starting to colour 3 at 10lb one a bit bigger prob 12lb all on an orange muddler size 10 on the bubble an flee great action lost two and rose several others

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    The fish were bar a clean hen 8lb all cocks starting to colour 3 at 10lb one a bit bigger prob 12lb all on an orange muddler size 10 on the bubble an flee great action lost two and rose several others
    Thats some action! -
    Had my first ever salmon on the bubble + peter ross sea trt fly aged 12 + remember the fight with the sight of the float firing away upstream like it was yesterday. Never tried in since, or indeed seen it done. How do you fish it -eg just let it swing round in the flow and does the muddler skate behind it or do you get it down + if so how, or slow retrieve in a low flow pool??
    Zn

Quote Originally Posted by zebraness View Post
    Thats some action! -
    Had my first ever salmon on the bubble + peter ross sea trt fly aged 12 + remember the fight with the sight of the float firing away upstream like it was yesterday. Never tried in since, or indeed seen it done. How do you fish it -eg just let it swing round in the flow and does the muddler skate behind it or do you get it down + if so how, or slow retrieve in a low flow pool??
    Zn
    Need specific conditions which are a wind, the stronger the better and low water
    fished upstream wound back slowly, across and downstream had no success

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    Need specific conditions which are a wind, the stronger the better and low water
    fished upstream wound back slowly, across and downstream had no success
    Ok - so is the muddler on the top all the way?

Yep top dropper of 2 flies