Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Late Jan early Feb suggestions

I'm thinking a week at the end of Jan or early Feb will be in order... I've been fishing the Dee for many years at this time but fancy something different (that may have a fish or two in the system). The Tay seems like a good idea but there does seem to be a very heavy emphasis on spinning and herling that time of year and that's not really my thing. So, any suggestions. Are there any Tay beats that don't 'encourage' rods to spin or herl and have goo dfly water, or any recommendations for other rivers?

The Helmsdale in Jan looks a bit on the cold and windy side but is it worth the trip (550 miles from home) for example. The Tweed doesnt have many fish in that early.... I'm in a quandry....????

Suggestions?

A log fire , a good book , and a decent dram.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I concur with the above suggestion apart from the dram bit. Replace that with a cup of tea in my case.

two words...... Barbados, bonefish.

TonyPrior Guest

Go to the North or South Esks as soon as they open. A tiny bit later, but it will almost certainly be cold enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Suggestions?

A log fire , a good book , and a decent dram.
    Agreed.

If I lived near a decent salmon river I might take an odd day early in the season, just to scratch the itch. The chance of a fish is fairly remote, especially if you don't want to spin, but on the whole the fishing is correspondingly cheap.

Living in the south, if you want to fish in Scotland you have to factor in the fixed costs of travelling and accommodation. And frankly, once you include those, it makes the economics of such a trip look daft, IMO, as they will probably multiply the cost of the fishing itself several fold. And February fishing can be hard work, too.

Given your location, you'd be better advised to console yourself with some chalkstream grayling (or a small stillwater, if that floats your boat), and then think about a trip to somewhere like the Wye when it opens on 3rd March - or the Usk later in the month. Your chances of a fish are probably not much worse than on many rivers in Scotland, but you can get to the lower Wye from J15 of the M4 in well under 1 1/2 hours, so the economics will look a bit more sensible, and you can put the money you save towards some other fishing later in the year, when there's a rather better chance of a fish.
    Last edited by charlieH; 06-10-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Default Prioritise. Book Tenerife.

Shorts , sun glasses and a T shirt that bears the legend "I should have been on (insert Dee beat name).
    That's where I'll be and if we recognise our respective T shorts we can laze away the balmy afternoons sipping Euro a shot local rocket fuel and complain about not being up to our vitals in the grue not even seeing or hearing of a fish. In the evenings the Irish Fiddler has replaced the Stag for entertainment.
    The Tay at that time is likely to be full on with little serious bank fishing anywhere. We have given up our February let on the Dee and moving to mid march on the Northie. Early enough , then mid April to the Tummel.
    Respect My Authorita!!

TonyPrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Agreed.

If I lived near a decent salmon river I might take an odd day early in the season, just to scratch the itch. The chance of a fish is fairly remote, especially if you don't want to spin, but on the whole the fishing is correspondingly cheap.

Living in the south, if you want to fish in Scotland you have to factor in the fixed costs of travelling and accommodation. And frankly, once you include those, it makes the economics of such a trip look daft, IMO, as they will probably multiply the cost of the fishing itself several fold. And February fishing can be hard work, too.

Given your location, you'd be better advised to console yourself with some chalkstream grayling (or a small stillwater, if that floats your boat), and then think about a trip to somewhere like the Wye when it opens on 3rd March - or the Usk later in the month. Your chances of a fish are probably not much worse than on many rivers in Scotland, but you can get to the lower Wye from J15 of the M4 in well under 1 1/2 hours, so the economics will look a bit more sensible, and you can put the money you save towards some other fishing later in the year, when there's a rather better chance of a fish.
    I have a notion that spring runs could be on the way back. (Before anyone starts - I'm not interested in debating the Dee). On the Angus Esks, for example, the early fishing is reasonably priced (for now). If a chap is fit and keen enough, and the weather is half decent, it could make for a fine and memorable trip. For me, the overriding disincentive to spring fishing is something else altogether (though I must also accept that the fitness thingie is becoming marginal).

TonyPrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Shorts , sun glasses and a T shirt that bears the legend "I should have been on (insert Dee beat name).
    That's where I'll be and if we recognise our respective T shorts we can laze away the balmy afternoons sipping Euro a shot local rocket fuel and complain about not being up to our vitals in the grue not even seeing or hearing of a fish. In the evenings the Irish Fiddler has replaced the Stag for entertainment.
    The Tay at that time is likely to be full on with little serious bank fishing anywhere. We have given up our February let on the Dee and moving to mid march on the Northie. Early enough , then mid April to the Tummel.
    With all due respect, I never saw the point in bonefishing. Dress like a desert tank commander on acid. "Cast there, Sir! He's on! Whizzzzz! Yee-Hah!! Wow!! He's ready now...Abel pliers please..." Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.
    Only on fishing TV, mind .
    Maybe, like hanging, I should try it?......Nah!
    Last edited by TonyPrior; 06-10-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Punct

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Agreed.

Or the Hampshire Avon, even closer. Then what about the Tyne/Wear with added bonus of a good seatrout?

Paul

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast