Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blunt hooks

Default blunt hooks

Fed up throwing away perfectly good flys because the hooks have become blunt ,anyone resharpen them with success
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Yes, these work well.

Wouldn't a darts sharpener do the job

I carry one of these.If i snag the bottom a couple of strokes of the hook point with it brings it back to needle sharp.

Taska Round Diamond Hook File
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

I've carried one in my pocket for a few years now, nothing worse than not having confidence in your hooks. I've bought lures in the past where I'm not over confident with the hooks that are on them, either sharpen them or remove them and replace

How much difference do you think it makes? Falkus was anti sharp hooks, but I'm not sure he was right in this instance. I've never worried about it provided the point isn't damaged, and if it is bin the hook and start again.

With takes being somewhat hard to get at times, a sharp hook is essential too push up the odds in your favour. Simply wasting your time if the point has been turned over by a rock etc, those diamond sharpeners are very good, I always have one in a pocket, and use it.
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I carry one of these.If i snag the bottom a couple of strokes of the hook point with it brings it back to needle sharp.

Taska Round Diamond Hook File
    just ordered one
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylong View Post
    Fed up throwing away perfectly good flys because the hooks have become blunt ,anyone resharpen them with success

I recently found an old sharpener in a pocket of my gamebag. Handmedown from my old man I reckon - similar operation to Springers video but a square shape. I tested it out on a couple of spinning baits and was amazed at the difference in just a couple of minutes. Tbh dont tend to have too many flies old enough -Helmies site + House of Bruar are dangerously addictive places place lol BUT just sharpened by tube fly doubles -ready for the big back end water we are all praying for!
    Zn

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypeter View Post
    With takes being somewhat hard to get at times, a sharp hook is essential too push up the odds in your favour. Simply wasting your time if the point has been turned over by a rock etc, those diamond sharpeners are very good, I always have one in a pocket, and use it.
    peter
    I certainly agree about damaged hooks being no good, but repairing them just weakens the point and makes it potentially brittle. A merely blunt hook I don't think makes any odds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast