Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of season

Default End of season

With 2015 the season just about closed, what does this means for us.

Is it a case of cleaning our lines and rods and servicing our reels ready for the coming season. Then set too at vice tying fly's for 2016.

I know some get out with the gun bagging a few birds and rabbits for the pot.

But how many of us pick some lighter gear and continue fishing for the Lady of the stream through the winter, either on the fly or trotting the humble worm t, I certainly do.

Default Grayling

Grayling season is great, especially down here as it makes the chalk stream's a bit more accessible.

It also sharpen's up your trout fishing for early spring if you cant fish for springers. Hopefully, next year that wont be a problem for me.
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

Default End of Season

Having caught a large grayling this year on a tube fly with a 2 handed rod, as well as the chub previously reported, I'm wondering whether it's necessary to change the approach.

Over? - This is my favourite time.

I've got 2 full weeks in Scotland coming up, the first in Mid/late October on a SW Scotland spate river & the second in early November on the Tweed. [hopefully we'll have had rain before then] + I'm off to the Tweed this afternoon for 2 days fishing [no water I know, but I'll still enjoy myself].

If things pick up I may even try to sneak another couple of days on the upper Tweed in late November, depending on availability etc.

Once we're into November I'm at the pheasants on my little local shoot [4 minutes drive away] & thinking about next season when I have an early start back on the Tweed the first week of February - who ever termed it "Spring fishing" should be prosectued under the trade descriptions legislation......

For me the Spring & Autumn are when I go for for salmon, with the summer generally spent here in S Wales after sea trout at night [albeit not very successfully this year]..

Regards, Tyke.
    Last edited by Tyke; 01-10-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Over? - This is my favourite time.

I've got 2 full weeks in Scotland coming up, the first in Mid/late October on a SW Scotland spate river & the second in early November on the Tweed. [hopefully we'll have had rain before then] + I'm off to the Tweed this afternoon for 2 days fishing [no water I know, but I'll still enjoy myself].

If things pick up I may even try to sneak another couple of days on the upper Tweed in late November, depending on availability etc.

Once we're into November I'm at the pheasants on my little local shoot [4 minutes drive away] & thinking about next season when I have an early start back on the Tweed the first week of February - who ever termed it "Spring fishing" should be prosectued under the trade descriptions legislation......

For me the Spring & Autumn are when I go for for salmon, with the summer generally spent here in S Wales after sea trout at night [albeit not very successfully this year]..

Regards, Tyke.
    Just had a 1000 cartridges delivered this week ready Tues, already planning a raid to Wales for Sewin in 2016

I'm not sure how I'll spend the winter months this year.

I was in a small, walked up, pheasant syndicate for 7 or 8 years. This last couple of years a few new faces have arrived and have put me right off. They can't, or don't, mark birds. They moan if they actually have to do any hunting, all they wasnt to do is shoot and they are not really concerned if the birds are lifted or not.

It might leave me more time to walk the upper reaches of the river and keep an eye out for spwaning activity and counting redds.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Having caught a large grayling this year on a tube fly with a 2 handed rod, as well as the chub previously reported, I'm wondering whether it's necessary to change the approach.
    iv'e had some nice ones off the Nith, a couple of them over 3lbs, unfortunately both were caught on a double handed rod and a 2" waddington fly, when i was after salmon.

We put some 'Ladies' in our stream this year for the first time ever (cue grave-rolling by the Hampshire elders). Our trout season ended last night with me catching a lovely butter-bellied brownie, first cast, in the gloaming - with a downstream 'spey' cast with my 2wt 6ft rod (cue more grave-rolling). I now look forward to resting it all for a month or two and having a few casts over Christmas for the Ladies.

After October I like a rest from the river so try and stop some long tails from moving on. Used to enjoy the grayling fishing but are past the days of line freezing in the rings.
    Bob

Never actually realised there was a "season" I`ve been fishing salmon for over 50 years and had probably more than my fair share but I`m an angler, not a salmon angler. Given rain I`ve still got 4 weeks left on UCAPA to have some fun. November a mate and I are NW Scotland on his boat after halibut, porbeagle and if they are still around possibly a bluefin. December I get a bit of pike in and then 9th Jan I`m off to FV in Canaries, (as most winters) with the 10ft salmon spin rod, a 4000 FS reel and 15lb line to have 28 days on shore bonito, `cuda, bluefish and amberjack plus a few days after tuna on the boat. Also have the 9ft 12# fly rod with me. Season , what season??? Have fun stuck in front of a vice or freezing your whatnots off after some troot with big dorsals.
    Last edited by Bonito; 01-10-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast