Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Salmon fish is really great

I really don't know what all the doom and gloom nonsense is about. Salmon fishing is really good. I've caught loads of fish in Scotland for a very modest outlay at an unbelievable CPUE. I've done ok in England and in all its been a great season. Can't wait till next year!

Couldn't agree more, I pay 110 for a season ticket and have had ten fish to 20lbs and about twenty sea trout
    As Jim Royle would say "doom and gloom my a..."

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I really don't know what all the doom and gloom nonsense is about. Salmon fishing is really good. I've caught loads of fish in Scotland for a very modest outlay at an unbelievable CPUE. I've done ok in England and in all its been a great season. Can't wait till next year!
    Agree, this is a great year for quality and quantity. Had to go where the fish were though, if I hadn't been flexible I'd have been buggered, that seems normal to me.

As has been discussed before, there definately seems to be differences depending on the area you fish.

I am only one fish down on last year but I have seen, and know there to be, far fewer fish than last year.

I am not one of those who differentiates a good season and a bad season by the numbers of fish they catch. I love fishing, I love the river and love just being at the river, which I am at every day whether fishing or not. The difference between a good season and a bad season to me depends on the numbers of fish seen in the river and I can tell you for a fact that this is a very bad year for my river. Despite good water at what should have been our peak run times, very few fish were seen or caught. Even since our current dry spell came in, there has been virtually no build up of fresh fish in our tidal waters.

We can only hope it is better next year.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Absolute doom and gloom for me.....never even caught a Salmon yet!
    Regardless, I'm loving it as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Yes, but you need to filter in the fact that you concentrated on North Coast rivers, all of which , Borgie, Naver , Halladale Forss and Thurso had quite unbelievable water levels through the summer and drew big runs of fish.
    Go and try and keep your CPUE stats up September onwards with no water in these rivers.
    In Central Scotland we had the same water but no fish except for one or 2 pockets here and there. The Forth , Teith and Earn have all been dreadful and whilst it's great to hear of your successes, bear in mind the vast %age of salmon anglers who were not as fortunate as you to be in the right place at the right time.
    As far as the Kyle is concerned Paul, our party fished the Shin at the end of July, peak time and it was extremely hard going. The bulk of our fish for the week, all grilse, came from the Field pool which is just an extension of the Kyle. If we didn't have that available to us we would have had a very grim week indeed , as I believe the season turned out to be on the Shin.
    So a stones throw away from you and very poor results indeed although I believe the Oykell, which of course has no dam and isn't controlled, had good enough numbers through the summer.
    Right place, right time.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Right place, right time.
    But isn't this what good salmon fishing has always been about?

I see a lot of Dee regulars, myself included have put a lot of eggs into one basket, as such we are paying the price of poor runs on this one particular river and so its all doom and gloom.

There has been some really good salmon fishing this year in Scotland on different rivers at different times, sadly I have not experienced any of it myself but I do think its all too easy to adopt the were doomed attitude when things don't go well for us.

When we book our fishing a year in advance we don't know what the levels or runs will be and so its at best a lottery and its hard to bear when you have to swallow the bitter medicine, for sure there will be guys in the UK who have had a very decent season so far and its all strawberries and cream for them.

Ive fished in England, Scotland, Iceland and Russia this year, none of my weeks have been as good as previous years but overall I have enjoyed myself and more than anything that has to be what we do this for. I like to catch fish for sure but if it ever became all about the numbers and nothing else I would pack it in as I would suffer disappointment far more than jubilation.

Keep the faith everyone, its not always bad and the good days more than make up for the bad ones

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Yes, but you need to filter in the fact that you concentrated on North Coast rivers, all of which , Borgie, Naver , Halladale Forss and Thurso had quite unbelievable water levels through the summer and drew big runs of fish.
    Go and try and keep your CPUE stats up September onwards with no water in these rivers.
    In Central Scotland we had the same water but no fish except for one or 2 pockets here and there. The Forth , Teith and Earn have all been dreadful and whilst it's great to hear of your successes, bear in mind the vast %age of salmon anglers who were not as fortunate as you to be in the right place at the right time.
    As far as the Kyle is concerned Paul, our party fished the Shin at the end of July, peak time and it was extremely hard going. The bulk of our fish for the week, all grilse, came from the Field pool which is just an extension of the Kyle. If we didn't have that available to us we would have had a very grim week indeed , as I believe the season turned out to be on the Shin.
    So a stones throw away from you and very poor results indeed although I believe the Oykell, which of course has no dam and isn't controlled, had good enough numbers through the summer.
    Right place, right time.
    You are of course quite right, but I can only speak as I find my personal experiences to be. Last year my summer week in the Far North was completely blank but trifles like that will never put me off. I started this thread because I am bored of reading about people giving up because the runs are so poor. Well things are tough in this era but you can still have a great time if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and it is that hope which makes the sport so exiting and unpredictable

Its still fun.

Its really ridiculous -- the costs and rules and all that. Id probably slog away day in and day out where it nearby and cost efficient as in association waters, or whatever, even tho I can certainly see how it can get pretty bad if thats all one can afford and the quality of the fishery goes straight to hell.

Its still a racket, though.
    Last edited by Heero; 28-09-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Default Salmon Fishing is Really Great

It's far more to do with meteorology than fish biology. Water is the indispensable ingredient, irrespective of whether it arrives as snow for the spring run, or rain for the rest of the year. For the past 3 years most of us have experienced cold dry springs and warm dry autumns, conditions that have directly and adversely impacted our salmon fishing. A quick look at the bizarre orientation of the jet stream over the UK today speaks volumes. Don't expect much with that going on.

Of course, there's nothing we can do about any of this, so we just have to be philosophical and derive the maximum enjoyment from what we do. After all, there's no benefit in worrying about what we can't change, and life's far too short to be miserable, even if cancelling expensive days hurts a Yorkshireman to the core.

Note: The link is to the WindyTy aviation forecasting tool, which is a very clever device. To observe jet stream behaviour go up to FL45/45,000 ft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast