Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7# Line for bigger flies

Hi

I'm fishing the Alness in a couple of weeks and may be using a 7# 10ft single hander during the trip. My current 7# lines have long tips with declicate tapers for turning small trout flies. I'm after a line with a shorter head to help turn over bigger flies, and possible a small conehead or tube. Any suggestions?

Airflo Mend or Airflo Nymph Indicator.
    Icelander05

Upline to a #8 and nip a foot or two from the front, if necessary. Failing that, the Barrio SLX is a half weight heavier for it's stated designation and has a nice short head....casts really well to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Hi

I'm fishing the Alness in a couple of weeks and may be using a 7# 10ft single hander during the trip. My current 7# lines have long tips with declicate tapers for turning small trout flies. I'm after a line with a shorter head to help turn over bigger flies, and possible a small conehead or tube. Any suggestions?
    Rio Chucker, made for it!! Very short head (20') which was developed especially for "Chucking" heavier flies on switch rods.

Here's what Simon Gawesworth, the head of line development at Rio emailed me when I tried using it with small flies......

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the email and update on the Chucker. I am not surprised at all by your findings as it is a very powerful, aggressive taper and will turn over with a lot of speed. It is ideal for very big flies and strike indicator type rigs. A VersiLeader will help slow the turnover down a little, so that is a good step.

Hope this helps you. If you want any further info, email Simon at..sgawesworth@rioproducts.com. He is very good at returning emails quickly.

EDIT: The Rio SSVT in #7 (or #4 if your rod is a true single hander) has a 23' head and will also do the trick. It is also very good with more delicate presentations so you have the best of both worlds. Great line.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul White; 25-09-2015 at 09:20 AM.

I fully agree with Paul in respect of the RIO SSVT #4 suitability for a designated single handed 10' #7 rod. It is an absolute delight with the GA 10' #7.

Hi

scissors?

Wullf ambush great lines,

Thanks guys.

Re the sissors... I want to keep the current 7# lines too. I use them for trouting and salmon on lochs very regularly ta :-)

Best advice was to get an 8 weight and chomp a little bit off the end. Use a knife if you have a phobia about scissors!
    Forecast looks good......there is 0.5mm of rain coming a week Sunday.

Thanks guys.

Re the sissors... I want to keep the current 7# lines too. I use them for trouting and salmon on lochs very regularly ta :-)

#7 for trout?

Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast