Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how fast do you have to fish a sunray

How fast do you have to fish the sunray, monkey, collie etc for it to be effective? I know you can strip it at breakneck speed and it works but how slow can they be fished. In a good steady flow for example with a ruffled surface like you get at the head of most pools could you just let it swing round to be working well. Would this work in the fast glides you get in the middle of a lot of pools?

There is no definitive speed, it can vary from day to day, fish to fish, pool to pool, season to season.

I have landed fish stripping it as fast as I can but quite often is just a steady retrieve. The angle at which it is cast is far more important in my opinion. I tend to cast it square or even slightly up stream at times to get a broadside presentation over a lie or for as much of the swing as possible. Ive seen long winged flies like this work when using the more traditional 45 degree down and across method but I prefer fast and broadside myself.

Don't know never caught a fish on them

Quote Originally Posted by SALMON RUSHDIE View Post
    Don't know never caught a fish on them
    Makes two of us and I've persevered with it a fair bit :-(

Zonker muddlers have however worked for me and they are pretty similar, just fished maybe sitting that wee bit higher on the surface
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

I've had one red letter day on the Don, when I had 3 fish, and pricked a good few more. On that day I was casting square, and then making a long pull on the line, then swing the rod towards my bank, then a long pull, and swing the rod, etc. thereby keeping the fly moving consistently, and quite quickly, across the pool.

Haven't had many since, and that day the fish were running, my assumption therefore being that the fish were more agressive and fighting anything that moved!

Oscar.

Agree with Springer.

I have had quite a lot of success with these types of fly, using a square cast, let it settle/start to come round, then a varied retrieve.

Have had fish take when ripping it back as i fluffed a cast and wanted to re-present it, and have also had one engulf a sunray on the dangle hanging mid stream behind to a known lie while trying to light a smoke. If they are on them, they are on them.

Vary everything, no?

The Sunray is incredibly versatile and can be fished swung slowly or cast square and stripped as fast as you can, and any point in between. It can be fished sunk or skated and even dibbled like a bob fly. I've caught most casting square, letting a belly form then stripping long slow pulls, or dibbling. When I'm fishing over a good lie I'll try one cast swung, one stripped and one dibbled. Someone on here posted an underwater vid of salmon taking it that was quite enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by AMcD View Post
    If they are on them, they are on them.
    Perfect description....

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    How fast do you have to fish the sunray, monkey, collie etc for it to be effective?
    Another point to consider when asking this question is how big is the particular Sunray?

I have them with wings from from 1.5" to 6" and each will be fished at different relative speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    There is no definitive speed, it can vary from day to day, fish to fish, pool to pool, season to season.

I have landed fish stripping it as fast as I can but quite often is just a steady retrieve. The angle at which it is cast is far more important in my opinion. I tend to cast it square or even slightly up stream at times to get a broadside presentation over a lie or for as much of the swing as possible. Ive seen long winged flies like this work when using the more traditional 45 degree down and across method but I prefer fast and broadside myself.
    I'm sorry about this but please bear with me. In previous posts everyone seems to agree the fly line going over fish is a NO NO! If I cast square or slightly upstream isn't it going to create some sort of downstream mend. If I then start to move the fly will it not follow the line of the fly line and if so will not the fish be spooked before the fly reaches it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast