Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Blob

Default The Blob

Love it or hate it the Blob catches a lot of trout. You could even argue it's the wonder fly of the last 20 years. You hardly see a match angler that doesn't have a blob somewhere on his cast nowadays. It does not appear to represent anything yet it has a huge effect on the trout's aggressive instincts. So has anyone ever tried it to catch salmon??? I would try it myself but only get a few days a tear for salmon so don't want to waste time on to much experimentation. It's something I would consider trying if I was in a position to fish most days.

Have often pondered about using a FAB (foam arsed blob) on the dropper as a wake fly. May well try when up on the Stinchar.

Saw a springer take an orange blob on the South Esk about 8 years ago
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Ian Gordon told me that he has had a lot of salmon taking the wool on the end of his line when he is teaching clients on the river, at Gordon Castle he watched a big springer take the lump of green wool at the end of his line while demonstrating. I'm sure the blob would work but I couldn't stan the slagging from my mates, I suppose I call it the Spey terror or something

Once when a guest was fishing on one of our lochs and raised and hooked a grilse on one. We catch salmon on muddlers so why not blobs??

I have heard it said that it may well be mistaken for something like a fish egg and perhaps that is why it is such a good pattern.
    Last edited by Redleader; 21-09-2015 at 09:35 PM.