Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default September / October worming

Hi Guys

I absolutely refuse to pay 20 quid for a bag of lobs or 7 pound for a tub of blackhead to go salmon fishing i dont mind once in a wile but not if i plan to do it for a period of time as id need 4 bags for a 2 week holiday so this year i decided in march to start a wormy expecialy for my sep/october 2 weeks of work fishing trips

I started with a bag of detrabeana worms cost me about 15 quid and have fed them ever since and fattend them up these have bread and there is lots of them like half size of lob in length but just as fat

My question is do you think i will be sucsessful with these. My grandad used to always say dont use lobs as the salmon will bite them and miss the hook stick to smaller worms.. and based on a youtube program i watched the classic angler that hamers salmon all be it years ago on bramblings wile fishing for sea trout with size 8 hooks i think il be in with a shot
    Last edited by Stuart1108; 18-09-2015 at 11:36 AM.

the good old garden worm(blackheads)are the boys i use last much longer than the others especially if you store them in shreaded newspaper and kept cool,i dont dig for them,i simply stick the garden fork into the grass and waggle it side to side and watch them coming out of the grass like snakes on a plain,the ones i dont use i put them back after a days fishing for next time,i rarely fish the worm late in the season unless iv bin asked for 1 for the table"happy waggling"
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Friend of mine did something similar, he stuck a screwdriver into the ground and said he was going to "charm some worms".

I of course got straight on the mobile to the nearest mental health unit asking for some white coats and serious drugs to be sent ASAP.

Then all these worms appeared.

Stuart

Dendrobenas/Brandlings will do just fine for Salmon, though I've not properly wormed for a few years now I used to regularly use them for Salmon. As a kid I would fish with little else as I couldnít afford shrimps and spinners very often, Iíve had plenty of Salmon and Seatrout on them over the years and my late Grandfather would use nothing else and he caught 100s of Salmon on them in over half a century using them.

Some used to say the Salmon and Seatrout would find the yellow juice of a brandling bitter and reject the worm, to coin a technical term that was a load of cods wallop (excuse the fishy pun) utter nonsense, on the country IMO they loved them and would chew and swallow them 9 times out of 10.

Tight lines
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Default Blackheads

I buy my worms simply because I don't have the time to dig them.
    I pay £10 for 100 & don't grudge it. I've had a dozen or more fish this season on the worm & the same again on fly & spinner!
    The way I look at it is...... Would I pay a tenner to catch a dozen salmon? Of course I would. A rapala costs a tenner & could potentially get me those fish & I wouldn't grudge it! 3 flies cost more than a tenner!...

Also, the worms great fun!

By the way, I still have worms left😎

Just to add, I don't do much worming in September & October due to a higher chance of catching fish that are getting ready to do their business, the last thing you want to do is hook a big coloured fish, right down its throat & it doesn't go back!!