Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When the going get's tough

Been a tough year. Spent a fair amount of cash on tackle, casting lessons, days on several decent beats, ghillies and the lot and nada. It's been enjoyable and a good learning process but feeling pretty jaded at the moment.

I'm thinking it's time to get the trout rod out, hike up to my old haunts in the Argyll hills and catch some brownies. How much punishment can a man take salmon fishing? Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by bkupris View Post
    Been a tough year. Spent a fair amount of cash on tackle, casting lessons, days on several decent beats, ghillies and the lot and nada. It's been enjoyable and a good learning process but feeling pretty jaded at the moment.

I'm thinking it's time to get the trout rod out, hike up to my old haunts in the Argyll hills and catch some brownies. How much punishment can a man take salmon fishing? Lol...
    I tool#k the #4 rod to one of my regular river haunts today.
    Amongst a pile of small stuff , I had 2 seatrout at around 1 1/2lbs each and 3 good browns , the best of which would have easily made 2 1/2lbs.
    Right on the marker , Kenny / Neill.

16-18 PTNs fished upstream dead drift and on 3lb tippet.
    #4 9' b111x.

Not bad for 4 hours max.
    Last edited by ibm59; 08-09-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I've not fished for salmon or seatrout for the past 2 seasons for family reasons and have heard dire reports of catches and runs declining. My club has allowed me to take a social membership during this time.

I now face a dilemma of what to do for next year. Should I take another year social as the family position hasn't improved, should I join again and spend an awful lot of money for a potential few days fishing for the odd fish or should l cut my losses, pack up my membership and sell my gear?

Am minded towards the latter and stick to trout fishing here and save my cash for a trip to somewhere where there are plenty of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Amongst a pile of small stuff , I had 2 seatrout at around 1 1/2lbs each and 3 good browns , the best of which would have easily made 2 1/2lbs.

#4 9' b111x.

Not bad for 4 hours max.
    Not bad! That's a great session. I think if I can sneak away I might get the trout rod out tomorrow myself. Had some lovely trout salmon fishing and there's still a few peal around. You've inspired me!

TonyPrior Guest

#4 9' b111x.

Not bad for 4 hours max.
    Gwan, rub it in, why don't you.
    So far this has been the season of hooked but not caught fish, and being too tired to go after days of shovel and barrow in the garden. Missed opportunities.
    Piling the chips on a record back end now.

I think there seems to be an incredible divergence of experience this year, depending on where you fish. I've had the best CPUE in Scotland I've ever had, I've had more days of 3+salmon than I've had 1's, 2's or blanks. In England the Exe has been dire though!

#4 9' b111x.

Not bad for 4 hours max.
    And not one Grayling, time for a WFR, worrying stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by martymo View Post
    And not one Grayling
    No grayling in this river.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Had 3 hours on the Ure in April..0
    Two night time sessions on the Wear..0
    Got two days on the Ure in October then its the Tweed in November where I hope my season will start and finish.
    I've not fished much at all so far this season but I can find more productive things to do rather than fish for fish that aren't there.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Think we all have to remember that the quarry( Salmon) doesn't eat in fresh water & are particularly hard to catch. If you want to catch fish all day,every time you go, by all means go for trout, but when salmon fishing remember it could be weeks at a time before you catch anything. Don't know if it was a hard upbringing in salmon fishing, but I remember seasons when I was chuffed with 1 or 2 . Probably more down to my techniques than any availability of fish. So now am pleased with anything. Last year I had 6, some seasons I've had 15 or so . Over 30ishyears of fishing I've learned to be pleased with what I get. Just my opinion & feelings but don't give up to easily. Ps. I do live within 15 mins drive of my river & can fish it anytime as I work shifts so probably a bit selfish that way. In that its easy for me to pick the best times water etc.
    Last edited by Dandy angler; 08-09-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast