Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Matapedia Report and Miramichi Update

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I got back from the Matapedia River in Quebec, Canada with a quick stop at the Miramichi. Conditions are low and a bit warm on most southern Canadian salmon rivers, but that is changing as we speak. The fishing was all on dry flies up on the Matapedia, and while I was at this great old camp I got a look at the log book from 1916 - amazing sizes of the fish. For more pictures and a full report go to my blog at this link. Scroll down a wee bit to Miramichi and Matapedia on Sept. 1. Brad
    Last edited by Brad Burns; 04-09-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Default June 1916 Salmon Sizes

Here is another pic some will find interesting. Check out the size of these fish caught in June of 1916!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Burns View Post
    Here is another pic some will find interesting. Check out the size of these fish caught in June of 1916!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Mental sized fish thanks for sharing brad

A lot of fish to the Jock Scott, incredible size of fish

Quote Originally Posted by bankwheel View Post
    A lot of fish to the Jock Scott, incredible size of fish
    I got an e-mail from a friend who has fished up that way for many years and done the editing on a couple of important histories of the fishing along the Gaspe. He claims that Quebec's continued harvest of the large fish - both recreationally and by the Indian nets - has reduced the occurrences of these big salmon in the catches, but there are still some. Apparently one was authenticated as caught and released a couple of years ago in the Matapedia that was 56 inches long! That fish had to weigh 50 lb or close to it.

The average fish in June has certainly fallen off from those days gone past. Same as just about every river that had or has large fish in it. Biggest difference is the run is so much smaller now. Talking about the early fish that made said river famous back in the day. But that does not mean the large fish are all gone. They aren't. It just seems the measurement is weeks per fish today in June. Especially early June.

Quote Originally Posted by inland View Post
    The average fish in June has certainly fallen off from those days gone past. Same as just about every river that had or has large fish in it. Biggest difference is the run is so much smaller now. Talking about the early fish that made said river famous back in the day. But that does not mean the large fish are all gone. They aren't. It just seems the measurement is weeks per fish today in June. Especially early June.
    That the run is much smaller is undoubtedly true on the Restigouche/Matapedia system as it is on the Miramichi. But I will say that from what I hear early June on all the systems up there has always been a bit iffy. Some years there are a lot of fish on June 5, and some it is well into June before much of anything shows up. That is still true on both systems. The average early run size on the Matapedia is undoubtedly much smaller than years ago, though, but that is not true on the Miramichi. Club records from 50 years ago show that river now has a considerably larger average size than it used to. Every expert on the system that I know believes this is from regulations that allow only the harvest of grilse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Burns View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Always nice to look over old records and feel envious of what use to caught. I like the column 'Where Killed" don't think you would see that much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Always nice to look over old records and feel envious of what use to caught. I like the column 'Where Killed" don't think you would see that much these days.
    Did you notice that all these fish were caught by two anglers? They each stayed at least two weeks. In 1916 it was still an adventure just to get to Matapedia. Not much pressure on a very large and healthy resource at that time.

I dunno. Looking at the size of the fish they aren't all that much smaller today. Fewer 30+. Fewer overall fish for June and probably the season as a whole compared to a hundred years ago. Maybe not as drastic as what has happened to the Miramichi with its loss of numbers. Could be similar or worse percentage wise. Not really sure. The only things we can go on is what was/is being counted and things haven't changed much at all for the overall run on the Matapedia for quite a while. 40 or so years. Early June fish are most definitely not as abundant.

The water doesn't flow like it did in 1916. Cumulative forestry impacts and practices and more people sucking water out of the system for various reasons. Let alone warmer and drier summers. All of this will affect things more than the nets and anglers taking MSW salmon. Not saying the relentless kill of these bigger fish doesn't help select for smaller fish. But it isn't like the river has turned to grilse or 12# salmon in June. Just fewer storlaks. Will say it again...these bigger fish are not gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast