Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Pink.

Default Another Pink.

Report of a Pink salmon caught in the Wear now.
    After 5 hours fishing the tidal pools today and only seeing one Seatrout even one of these would do me at the minute.
    Never know the river so low and so empty for a very long time....

PINK SALMON caught on the river Wear | Chester-le-Street & District Angling Club
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Yeah I saw that....the instruction is to kill them as they are an invasive species.

Some invasions are welcome!

Wasn't there a couple on the tyne nets a fews weeks ago?

read the report,they are no good for eating ????,hows that.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_n View Post
    Yeah I saw that....the instruction is to kill them as they are an invasive species.

Some invasions are welcome!

Wasn't there a couple on the tyne nets a fews weeks ago?
    if the odd one is getting caught, there must be many more getting through. What would be wrong if a river like the Wear was full of Pinks in 10 years time? Do they affect Atlantic Salmon or Seatrout? I keep seeing the salmon runs on youtube of pinks and would love to see and fish for these creatures. Can it not be a case of natural movements? Isn't this how evolution gets going, different species, different habitats, adapting and changing? 5 million pinks.....bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Daventus View Post
    ha, Atlantics are delicious, but see how much trouble you get into bonking one on the head in March! But we still fish for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventus View Post
    If they are no good for eating,why do millions of them end up in cans every year???
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

they are bloody ugly though! Do they fight hard? I'm guessing they should do.

I'm guessing seeking's your man to explain properly. They are good to eat in some circumstances, which I don't know!

The 5 million bit is, I fear, a product of their pristine environment not a species specific thing. They would probably compete with our native fish to what effect, who can say? They were introduced in Russia by Stalin for ranching. They have proved less environmentally destructive than the Alaskan king crabs he also introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Report of a Pink salmon caught in the Wear now.
    After 5 hours fishing the tidal pools today and only seeing one Seatrout even one of these would do me at the minute.
    Never know the river so low and so empty for a very long time....

PINK SALMON caught on the river Wear | Chester-le-Street & District Angling Club
    According to some, I was under the impression that the recovering North East of England rivers were absolutely stuffed with fish??
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    According to some, I was under the impression that the recovering North East of England rivers were absolutely stuffed with fish??
    Salmon wise it's a total discrace the wears dieing with each yr that gose buy i haven't seen a salmon all yr and only no of 3 that's been caught. Sea trouts been avarage we used to get whats in the river now in 1 month not 2 long ago . Quota needs putting on the nets and lads putting fish back. Spawning grounds been flattened off floods middle to upper river been poor for a good number of yrs now. Anyone with good experience and knowledge of the middle to upper river would tell u the same. It's not good

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast