Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default MacKenzie 9/10 tips

Im thinking of buying a mackenzie 10/11 56ft spey line for my wee 12ft9 century and was wondering if the tips I have for my mackenzie multi tip
    which is a 9/10 format would go with the spey line or is it just better using rio 10 ft sinking leaders on it.
    I have been advised that the tips should be fine but was wondering what you guys think and anyone that has used the spey line could help me out here.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrishconnolly View Post
    Im thinking of buying a mackenzie 10/11 56ft spey line for my wee 12ft9 century and was wondering if the tips I have for my mackenzie multi tip
    which is a 9/10 format would go with the spey line or is it just better using rio 10 ft sinking leaders on it.
    I have been advised that the tips should be fine but was wondering what you guys think and anyone that has used the spey line could help me out here.

chris
    Chris,
    I doubt if the Spey line will handle 15ft tips a 71ft head with a 12ft9 rod will be a test of your casting ability., if it were me I would stick with 5/10 ft tips.
    Cheers Diarmid.

Default Mackenzie 9/10 tips

Thanks Diarmid thats the very reason I was asking as I thought that the 56 ft head would be better with the 10ft sinking leaders.
    Even that at 66ft might test my casting ability lol

chris

You've got to remember that those 9/10 tips are a part of the fly line, rather than polyleaders, which are designed to be part of your leader.

The 56ft line and 5/10ft polyleaders of most densities will be great off the rod.
    Last edited by finreid; 03-09-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishconnolly View Post

chris
    Can't offer any practical experience here but I'd expect that 15' tips would be just about impossible off a spey line - even on a 14/15'er. Add in the shorter rod you're wanting to use.........

Definitely a try before you buy scenario...

If you were to give it a go it would be good to hear what happened

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by finreid View Post
    You've got to remember that those 9/10 tips are a part of the fly line, rather than polyleaders, which are designed to be part of your leader.
    Yup.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Default Mackenzie G2 Speyline

Much appreciated guys my other option was to go for the AFS 3D that is on the go just now however I would prefer to get a line with running line attached but one that will cast sweetly on the 12ft9 century.

Chris i have the Mackenzie 56ft multi tip spey line, yes it does cast 15ft tips which are part of the kit.I might be wrong but i think the total length of the head and tips is 56ft.I fished it last friday and its not like casting a 75ft head line.I was actually fishing with the floating 15ft tipmon it and adding a 5ft sinking poly leader.
    Hope this helps

PS it is a great line....

I just checked it, it is a 56ft head with the tip included, so would go with your rod no problems...
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rm100 View Post
    I just checked it, it is a 56ft head with the tip included, so would go with your rod no problems...
    Cheers
    Just read the post again , its not the multi tip line you have in the same size.