Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie on tour

Default Newbie on tour

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I have to say it's fantastic, better than any T&S!
    I've fly fished for trout for years but have taken the plunge with the salmon this year, so to speak.
    Anyway I am looking to fish this weekend (sat and sunday) and I am of limited means! I can stretch to about 60/day. I am travelling from stoke so ideally southern scotland (glasgowedinburgh being my upper limit) or northern england, gonna stay overnight anyhow.
    Where should I go to have the best chance of landing my first salmon on the fly? I can put a line out ok, but definitely not able to cover monster pools like you get on the Tay.

Cheers in advance,
    Gary.

Hi Hydroform
    The river,s Clyde and Leven are both in the Glasgow area and both are very inexpensive and offer a good chance of a fish.

Hello mate, welcome to the forum.I haven't fished it much myself but going by reports maybe a beat on the main Tyne could be a good bet as you can't salmon fish in Scotland on a Sunday. Fishpal is a good place to price and book beats but I'm sure there will be some better advice than mine forthcoming.

Hope this helps anyway, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydroform View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I have to say it's fantastic, better than any T&S!
    I've fly fished for trout for years but have taken the plunge with the salmon this year, so to speak.
    Anyway I am looking to fish this weekend (sat and sunday) and I am of limited means! I can stretch to about 60/day. I am travelling from stoke so ideally southern scotland (glasgowedinburgh being my upper limit) or northern england, gonna stay overnight anyhow.
    Where should I go to have the best chance of landing my first salmon on the fly? I can put a line out ok, but definitely not able to cover monster pools like you get on the Tay.

Cheers in advance,
    Gary.
    The Annan,Nith,Cree and Bladnoch are all getting fish although so are the northern english rivers as you say your a newbie The Tweed is the place my friend but you better double your sixty quid and more but more a chance there

If you want to fish both days that will narrow your search to english rivers,i hear the Tyne has plenty of fish
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Thanks for the info lads. I think that i'll head to the tyne, good point about the 'no fishing sundays', completely forgot! Looking forward to it anyway.