Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Malloch- River Tay runs

Was looking for an explanation of the large summer salmon that have been caught recently. This is taken from Malloch's book and relates to the Tay but I'm sure applies equally elsewhere.
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images malloch-1-jpg malloch-2-jpg malloch-3-jpg 

I love the casualness of the 30-70lb bracket statement. Would have loved to have experienced the fishing back then, but with the use of modern tackle and modern means of broadcasting my 70lber

Quote Originally Posted by Earnangler View Post
    I love the casualness of the 30-70lb bracket statement. Would have loved to have experienced the fishing back then, but with the use of modern tackle and modern means of broadcasting my 70lber
    Funnily enough even Malloch considered fish over 60 quite rare, and only recorded one seventy pounder. His era was ok for rod fishing but not as good as today numbers wise as the nets got most of the available fish.

Great stuff, JohnMA.

13lb grilse (I think there's still some come in nowadays?) and a prediction for the following year. Changed days.

Average weight must've taken some landing.

4/0 single irons are a third the length of many raps...

The big summer salmon that have been caught recently are two winter fish, what Malloch describes as the third run. These are two winter fish similar to fourth run (what we all think of a Springers). The smaller earlier Springers, run two, were thought of as late grilse.

Fishing in Late season you could catch any of a number of distinct runs on the Tay.

Makes protection of one part of the spawning stock almost impossible.
    J
    Last edited by JohnMA; 16-08-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMA View Post
    The big summer salmon that have been caught recently are two winter fish, what Malloch describes as the third run. These are two winter fish similar to fourth run (what we all think of a Springers). The smaller earlier Springers, run two, were thought of as late grilse.

Fishing in Late season you could catch any of a number of distinct runs on the Tay.

Makes protection of one part of the spawning stock almost impossible.
    J
    Not to mention pointless. Salmon are salmon.

Loxie, get that Malloch book out and get posting... .

JohnMA, it's the imagined graphical displacement aiding confusion (it's a fair excuse, surely)

Jings
    Low level scientific types that know all the answers.
    Kill your thread dead and offer no insight.

I simply posted some historical info hoping to stimulate debate on the large summer salmon that have been caught recently, for instance on Gordon Castle and the fact that some components of the stock are protected by legislation and others aren't.

I'm not making some defining scientific analytical point here, ***.
    J

JohnMA, here's how I currently understand it:

Relatively warm North Atlantic Oceanic waters displace necessary phytoplankton northwards and the the zooplankton follows via successively warm and cold water species. Fish species - long-since adapted to warmer/colder regimes - follow suit.

Historically, and I mean big here, using millenia of sedimentary evid / Viking exploration, etc., it appears, long-term, the North Atlantic Ocean undergoes periodic cooling and warming on a kinda 60-yr cycle. Why, we don't know with too many possible factors unresolved. That's about the best we've got in terms of understanding Salar's marine habitat.

Sure, we can all look at the very sparse previous evidence and compare it to Malloch's period on Tay but it counts, for not a jot, IF we cannot deduce what it showed. We're a great spp. at compiling problems and finding so-called solutions but just when we think Salmo is in a cocked hat, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by keirross View Post
    Loxie, get that Malloch book out and get posting... .

JohnMA, it's the imagined graphical displacement aiding confusion (it's a fair excuse, surely)

I find myself constantly going back to him. I'm going to need to buy a library copy as mine is falling apart!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast