Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Setting the hook - Salmon Junkies

I know this has been discussed so many times on the forum. But...

Usually I let them them take the line off the reel and then lift the rod however recent event with several fish lost, mostly grilse (I won't mention the number, it's embarrassing ), made me thinking. I've just watched the full movie and Mr. Juhl doesn't mess about and strikes right away after each take. He still looses some fish though. What do you think?

Lift when I feel the weight of the fish, but not a strike as such.

Never fish off the reel, but a loop held between fingers and reel.

Oscar.

I've said this before....nail it and hang on!

Default Setting the hook

After 60 years of fishing I have an aversion to doing things that are hasty or over-forceful. In addition, it takes remarkably little force to get the point of a sharp hook well into anything, including the jaw gristle of a salmon. So even relatively unhurried movements of the rod will do the job, because in most cases the salmon is helpfully moving against the substantial drag of the line, which does much of the work for you.

In the minority of cases where you detect a fish interrupting the movement of the fly (especially near the dangle and in slower water) before you feel the turn away, I still don't subscribe to violent movement. You only need to move the fly a few inches to get the hook in. If you go hard and fast, most of your effort is lost in rod flex against the line drag, so much of the extra grunt is wasted.

Once I feel the turn of a fish I restrain the line and just lean back. I don't subscribe to the idea of giving a fish line to run with or 'to return to its lie'.

For those who haven't seen it before, have a look at Crash! Bang! Pluck! on Just One Week.

I thought everyone was supposed to say, "God save the queen*", before lifting into the fish?

*Or King once youve one of them instead.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    I thought everyone was supposed to say, "God save the queen*", before lifting into the fish?

*Or King once youve one of them instead.
    Yes, GSTQ/K is a slightly quicker strike than God Save the President

I fish off the reel, with the drag set reasonably firm - seems to work for me.

If I'm expecting grilse, and as you know they can provide tearing snatches that rip off a foot or 2 of line but don't hook, then I tighten up the drag quite a bit and this has improved my hookups considerably.

I know one very successful fisher who simply clamps the line under his forefinger, and as soon as he feels something he strikes ! This works very well for him !!

i just lift not too hard works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I know this has been discussed so many times on the forum. But...

Usually I let them them take the line off the reel and then lift the rod however recent event with several fish lost, mostly grilse (I won't mention the number, it's embarrassing ), made me thinking. I've just watched the full movie and Mr. Juhl doesn't mess about and strikes right away after each take. He still looses some fish though. What do you think?
    Iv settled on just clamping the line to the rod on feeling a take and letting the salmon hook it's self this can take a few seconds and only lifting when I feel the weight of the fish,this method I'm confident in after years of trials and frustrations
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stockybasher View Post
    Yes, GSTQ/K is a slightly quicker strike than God Save the President
    I was saying "God save the commander in chief' before striking but I found myself missing every fish that took.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast