Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Skye

Default North Skye

Hi all,

I have booked a cottage at Ullinish for a week in September. Its not a fishing holiday but I will take a limited amount of tackle.

I enjoy fishing hill lochs for wild trout, I have never fished a spate river when it had water in, and fancy a bit of sea fishing off the rocks.

I have read the local info on the internet but wonder if anyone on here can give me any advice on North Skye please?

The Snizort will be at its best in September. Permits from Derek Dowsett at Three Esses www.skyesalmon.co.uk. Skeabost approx 30 mins drive from Uillinish. For seafishing try Neist Point for pollock on the fly. Again a short drive away. Remember to pack a midge net.

I know the island very well and fish up there regularly as My missus is from Skye, Glendale near Dunvegan - we visit about 4-5 times a year as the family all stay there.

You are very close to the River Ose, a small but very productive spate river - I've had great sea trout fishing there and there's definitely grilse in it as well.

You can see from google maps there is a big corner pool about 1km from the sea - it's pretty obvious when you look at the maps. There are other pools further up though it's a bit of a hike over relatively rough ground at points - but would recommend it as it's wild fishing at its best.

At that time of year if you can make it to the hinnisdal river on the road to Uig, great chance of salmon & sea trout, September is the best month (weather/rain permitting).

If you want any more advise give me a PM and I'll help you out.

Thanks

D

pretty sure theres a sea fishing skye website with marks listed all around skye and parts of mainland. Can't remember exact name of it but a google search should find it. Plenty of mackeral and small pollack around and a few places for thornback if that floats your boat.

neist point is about the best rock mark on the north ,scamble down rocks to right of lighthouse excellent large pollack, ling,wrasse ,conger ,cod .if you can get a boat into moonin bay ,you stand a chance of anything that swims,ive had turbot ,placie to 5lb ,spurs rays etc . all the spate streams fish well at that time of year given rain and the seatrout fishing in the salt still worth a go

Thank you all for that very helpful advice. How exciting.

Thanks for the pm offer. I will get in touch nearer the time.

Isle Of Skye Sea Fishing - UK Sea Fishing

The above is a good report of the sea angling on offer......it is just a pity they made such @rses of themselves trying to claim a skate record!
    Last edited by Roag Fisher; 19-04-2015 at 07:11 PM.

DDOCH1. You have a PM

Hi B
    The best advice so far was the midge net!!!!! Industrial strength repellant too. Hope you have a great time. It's a lovely place even with the midges

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    Hi B
    The best advice so far was the midge net!!!!! Industrial strength repellant too. Hope you have a great time. It's a lovely place even with the midges

SP8
    Thanks SP8. I bought two nets for Scourie for the first time ever this year and it was windy so I did not need them. I am hoping for the same in Skye. Plus some heavy rain so I can fish the Ose in a spate, but I keep being told it's not a fishing holiday. The dog will be having lots of long walks along rivers, shorelines and hill loch sides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast