Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No fish before April law

Does the new law introduced this year cover sea trout or just salmon alone?

As far as I was aware, it was only salmon but a newsletter from some club water I have states sea trout are also included.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were misinformed but thought I would see if anybody had the definitive answer.

I have no plans on chapping anything but it's always good to know where you stand.
    “Some people take offense like it's a limited time offer.”

I rather thought sea trout were salmon under the 2003 Act untill someone posted that apparantly this legislation only applies to salmon. Also I have been asked to point out that in Esk districts it is C&R until April 30. Silly law in my opinion, but there we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Waltham and Dritness View Post

As far as I was aware, it was only salmon but a newsletter from some club water I have states sea trout are also included.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were misinformed but thought I would see if anybody had the definitive answer.

I have no plans on chapping anything but it's always good to know where you stand.
    Could they be referring to English sea trout?

It includes sea trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltham and Dritness View Post

A forum member a while back posted that he had it confirmed by the SG that it only included salmon. This has subsequently been confirmed to me by the Fishery Manger where I fish. This is a break with all previous legislation in which the word "salmon" also covered sea trout. I have been told it was to do with Mr. Thin in his review to the SG stating it would be difficult to apply to sea trout as they are in effect brown trout. Did not seem to worry previous legislators

So you can kill a sea trout if you so wish and the beat allows it. What I don't know is how the legislation applies to the open and closed periods for netting. Can they now net and kill sea trout from the opening day to the closing day of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Could they be referring to English sea trout?
    No, they refer to it for their Whiteadder and Till fishings and specifically mention it's because of the new law.
    As far as I can see, and I have looked (obviously) there is no mention of sea trout being included or not.

Confusion abounds as this was posted on our club website a couple of weeks ago.....
    I am now confused!

Killing of Sea trout
    Created on Thursday, 26 February 2015 15:51
    Rivers Tweed and Till

Earlier this year the Scotttish parliament brough in a law confirming that no salmon are to be killed on scottish rivers until after 30th June each year. Further discussions with the River Tweed Commissioners today over sea trout has now clarified the situation regarding the killing of sea trout in scottish rivers. No sea trout is to be killed before the 1st April in any year. This law was brought in at the same time though appeared to be deeply hidden, if that is the correct word, within the new statute. Members are therefore advised that they must follow this new law and all sea trout caught before 1st of April must be returned unharmed to the water.

The tweed commision have sea trout included in the law. I've heard that from members of the tc. I would therefore presume that this is for the whole of scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I rather thought sea trout were salmon under the 2003 Act untill someone posted that apparantly this legislation only applies to salmon. Also I have been asked to point out that in Esk districts it is C&R until April 30. Silly law in my opinion, but there we go!
    Yes, I read the same on here a while ago. That's why I thought I'd check just to now where I stand in the eyes of the law.
    On tweed it's c/r until July anyways as part of the river commission rule.

Quote Originally Posted by tomleslie16 View Post
    The tweed commision have sea trout included in the law. I've heard that from members of the tc. I would therefore presume that this is for the whole of scotland
    I don't doubt you for a second, but can't find any reference anywhere on their website, on Scottish government website, we have had no correspondence sent to our water on the Tweed.. It's just a bit of a head scratcher.
    Can't find anything, anywhere that states sea trout are included, or that they aren't included.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast