Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Longannet to close next year,

As some may have seen in the news today longannet power station is set to close around this time next year,

Staying in kincardine myself i know the effect this is going to have on the local people i have alot of friends that work there,

But possibly one good thing that could come from this from a fishing point of view is that the water intakes will no longer be sucking smolts/sea trout/ and returning salmon from the forth estuary on a daily basis so possibly in the next few year forth anglers could see a big increase in returning salmon...

AA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic.....is there any evidence to support damage caused to fish numbers ?

Default Longannet to close next year,

ive seen pictures of dead salmon that have been found in the filters, and heard from people that work there and from other forum members.

Last edited by allan angler; 23-03-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks.
    Pity about effect on jobs etc but on a selfish note hopefully good for us !

Default Longannet

Well a negative apart from the obvious unemployment for the area is no more hot water outlet means no more bass to be caught they do seem attracted to the warm water as I have experienced myself some years ago taking 21 schoolies in an evenings fishing.All returned I might add.
    But the positive there will be no more supposed fishermen trying to rape the water for all the bass they can get to sell them on for profit.
    OOps sorry rant over but allan angler you are quite correct back in the 70/80s we got alot of whitebait for sea fishing from the filters at Longannet and yes there were bigger fish sucked in there all the time.

chris

I never even thought about the outlet, although never been down for the bass for years, i used to go down there alot,

I remember my mate used to bring sparling/small cod/ etc for pike bait, he got them
    From the longannet filters, im sure they actually employ people escpecially just to clean the dead fish out

Default Payback

Mr Cameron is certainly putting the boot in now.
    Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
    No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.

Quote Originally Posted by Denfield Bud View Post
    Mr Cameron is certainly putting the boot in now.
    Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
    No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.
    Yup thats the way it seems, without getting too much into politics it looks like new nuclear power stations to be built down south

Quote Originally Posted by allan angler View Post
    I never even thought about the outlet, although never been down for the bass for years, i used to go down there alot,

I remember my mate used to bring sparling/small cod/ etc for pike bait, he got them
    From the longannet filters, im sure they actually employ people escpecially just to clean the dead fish out

They don't employ people just to carry out that role but yes it is part of someone's role.

It is a sad day indeed, lots of people losing their jobs and a huge impact on the surrounding area.

Not sure where all this information on small fish being sucked into intake vents is coming from . The outlet is warmer than the surrounding water and does attract bass . There is also a large nature reserve created with waste ash . but with 280 jobs on the line plus the supporting jobs it is indeed sad news.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast