Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Denfield Bud View Post
    Mr Cameron is certainly putting the boot in now.
    Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
    No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.
    Think it was the Peterhead plant chosen instead.

Ive just been told that, Small fish do get sucked in, as well as large fish. they then get taken to fish waste skips where they are eventually sold for fish food, cod, sparling, salmon, bass, conger, silver eel, squid, and even porpoise heads, are among the things found regularly in the filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default It Comes From Here

Quote Originally Posted by the dipper View Post
    Not sure where all this information on small fish being sucked into intake vents is coming from . The outlet is warmer than the surrounding water and does attract bass . There is also a large nature reserve created with waste ash . but with 280 jobs on the line plus the supporting jobs it is indeed sad news.
    We have been fighting Scottish Power for years on this subject but unfortunately when big business is involved you bang your head against a brick wall. Even the F.D.S.F.B. have swept this subject under the carpet (would you expect anything else?) Corporations with deep pockets simply treat environmental vandalism as part of the cost of production and don't try to sue them, their pockets are much deeper the anyone else's.
    They admit to the loss of 5000 salmon smolts per year but anecdotal evidence tells of skip loads taken off site under cover, anything up to 50000 per year. Any inspection was carefully planned and stage managed with the screens strangely pristine. As you can see , even Government agencies such as S.E.P.A. are careful what they say.
    It should be noted however that we campaigned for improvements to the intake screening procedure and would never condone loss of jobs.

response-t-monahan-rfaa-jpg
    response-t-monahan-rfaa-2-jpg
    Last edited by keirstream; 23-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    Respect My Authorita!!

There is/was a project running to trial a fish return system. The idea was the fish would be returned rather than put in a skip to die. I would imagine with today's events the funding for this will now be pulled.

Default Get Your Facts Right D.B.

Mr Cameron is certainly putting the boot in now.
    Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
    No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.
    Longannet was already on borrowed time due to carbon regulations and was on a useful life extension already. It had at best 10 years left and even that was optimistic in the extreme. This hasn't been pulled out a hat and it's nothing to do with Cameron or indeed any unionist party but more to do with the green agenda so vigorously pursued by Salmond and Wee Jimmy.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Default Whats the word?

Quote Originally Posted by porteouz View Post
    There is/was a project running to trial a fish return system. The idea was the fish would be returned rather than put in a skip to die. I would imagine with today's events the funding for this will now be pulled.
    Will it take several Years to close or will it be quicker?
    What about the coal trains from Hunterston,train drivers will be affected as well.
    The folk moaning about the rail traffic will be happy and the Bett flats in Stirling will rocket in price.

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Longannet was already on borrowed time due to carbon regulations and was on a useful life extension already. It had at best 10 years left and even that was optimistic in the extreme. This hasn't been pulled out a hat and it's nothing to do with Cameron or indeed any unionist party but more to do with the green agenda so vigorously pursued by Salmond and Wee Jimmy.
    Not sure I would agree with that 100%, there are plenty of coal fired stations south of the border that will face the same fate, some already have

Will it take several Years to close or will it be quicker?
    What about the coal trains from Hunterston,train drivers will be affected as well.
    The folk moaning about the rail traffic will be happy and the Bett flats in Stirling will rocket in price.
    As it stands it will close next March. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rail link through alloa closed again Derek. It really is sad times

Default Why Disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by porteouz View Post
    Not sure I would agree with that 100%, there are plenty of coal fired stations south of the border that will face the same fate, some already have
    If you read what I said it's the green agenda pursued globally , not by any individual party that is causing these decisions to be made against coal fired stations, an agenda the was embraced enthusiastically by Scotgov who have desecrated our landscape with hideous monstrosities rather than invest in carbon filter technology.
    Fossil fuels are out nowadays unless you are Chinese, Russian or American.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    If you read what I said it's the green agenda pursued globally , not by any individual party that is causing these decisions to be made against coal fired stations, an agenda the was embraced enthusiastically by Scotgov who have desecrated our landscape with hideous monstrosities rather than invest in carbon filter technology.
    Fossil fuels are out nowadays unless you are Chinese, Russian or American.
    Yes I read it and understood it fully but as much as I dislike salmond I don't think I can blame him for this

You are correct though carbon capture or a similar technology should have been the route taken
    Last edited by porteouz; 23-03-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast