Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Full Moon / Full Tide

Does anyone have any evidence to suggest there's a correlation between the phases of the moon, high tides and the catch success of salmon, or more specifically, the numbers of running salmon ?

Is it the case we get the highest tides at full moon phase of the month or otherwise ?

We know on most rivers, the higher the tide, the more likely the runs are to be good, accepting rivers have an "average" flow and conditions are conducive to a run (unlike the warm dry spell we are experiencing at the moment).

But, are salmon runs increased with the phases of the moon, ie. first phase, half moon through to full moon and last phase ? Are they influenced by lunar magnetic "pull" and if so, what is the optimum inter-phase between tides and moon to influence salmon runs ?

Can we look to tide predictions and moon phases to determine the optimum time of any given month to "chase silver" ?

I've never read or heard of such myself, and whilst I may have a theory or two myself, I'm just curious to hear some thoughts form others.

Altmor.

Ive just finished a cuppa, I will check the tea leaves

When I did a lot of sea trout fishing I was always watching the tides and the moon phases whenever the water was low enough to merit night fishing.
    I've never really considered the moon phases when planning my salmon fishing, but I suppose that it must have some effect on the fish.
    This is an interesting one and I'd be interested to find out more if anybody can offer their thoughts.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

Quote Originally Posted by Fruin View Post
    I've never really considered the moon phases when planning my salmon fishing, but I suppose that it must have some effect on the fish.
    Apart from the increased height of tide 2 days before and after the full moon , I'm not convinced that it does , Fruin.
    Last edited by ibm59; 01-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.

It was the tide that I was thinking about. Do the moon phases trigger high and low running responses in the fish, or is it just the ruch of the tide that would do this
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

I really was only thinking about the increased tide level making access to the river easier for running fish.
    Really can't see how the time of tides / phases of the moon can make any difference to fish behavior in water unaffected by tides.

I'll concede that it can appear to make a difference wi' seatrout at times.
    Sometimes a long way from the tide too , but I'll be b*ggered if know why that should be the case.
    Pass the tea leaves please , Springer.
    Last edited by ibm59; 01-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Default NOt so simple

Fruin,

its a little less simple than that I reckon. For seatrout in low water on spate rivers I think it does make a difference. Also think tides can be important for the movement of autumn salmon in low water. For springers and grilse I've never been bothered by tides.

There is a theory (the solunar theory) that is used to predict prime feeding times for sea bass and other fish. Many anglers swear by this. THe tides around a new moon are said to be bigger than a full moon and the sun moon transit around the days leading up to a black (new) moon are said to be best. If you google solunar theory you will get he whole history. The story goes some shellfish were transported and kept in tanks and that they opened to feed around the sun/moon transit regardless of tide.

So, I reckon there is a correlation between fish feeding and the solunar theory. However as salmon dont feed in fresh water I dont use the theory for them. As regards peak runs and tides, IMHO salmon will run when they hit their estuary unless the water is too warm and low to prevent this. This tends to happen in the autumn and so I take account of tides when fishing lower reaches of rivers for salmon at that time of year.

Of course I could be totally wrong in my approach but anyway seein as you asked!!

t

I know it isn't advisable to go fishing at night if there is a full moon just incase there are any werewolfs about:

Especially near Dalmellington.

Default Never mind

Guys,

as ye raised the werewolves thing heres an interesting fact. Hospital a&e rooms, etc are far busier on nights of full/new moon than any other times during the month. So its not just the fish - the humans also go a bit crazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast