Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lifetime of leader material

I just did a loft tidy up and found lots of old maxima that has been stored out of sunlight for a couple of seasons.
    Would you use it? What about other leader material, fluorocarbon for instance. What would you consider a usable lifetime?
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

1 season for me then in the bin. Prob not eco-friendly or whatever but I hook far too few salmon to worry about bad leader on top of whatever else.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjaffs View Post
    I just did a loft tidy up and found lots of old maxima that has been stored out of sunlight for a couple of seasons.
    Would you use it? What about other leader material, fluorocarbon for instance. What would you consider a usable lifetime?
    Defo NO!! in my opinion. The extremes of temperature you get up there will affect the composition of the Maxima structure. UV degredation is only one aspect of line failure.....

The way I see it, it's not worth compromising when it comes to catching a salmon - any salmon, not just the fish of a lifetime that we all hope for. Would you forgive yourself if you lost a good fish with a broken leader just because you wanted to save a fiver, or whatever a new spool of Maxima costs?

One of my rituals on the first trip of a new season is to stop off and buy a new spool or two from a reasonably big shop like John Norris, GAC or somewhere like that, where there shouldn't be much danger of getting last year's stock. Maybe I'm a bit obsessive, but it's one less thing to worry about when playing a fish.

Fluorocarbon is different - it's reckoned not to degrade, so is probably OK. Not sure about copolymer or other stuff.

Incidentally, I use the best hooks I can for the same reason. The small amount of money saved just could prove to be a false economy.

Question

Should manufacturers label them with a shelf life?
    If stored in relation to manufacturers recommendations then they should last beyond a year. Pretty sure I have been sold lines in tackle shops much older then one season old.

It becomes more paramount/relevant when discussed in relation to lines/leaders having been used or exposed beyond ideal storage conditions.

Stored in a dry ambient temp? I would use it but that's just me. Tie some to a tree and give it a good solid tug if it's compromised it will snap pretty easily unless it's 1lb breaking strain then it's useless for salmon anyway

I lost 2 rainbows a few years back on 6lb line. After the second loss I checked the mono and it was like cotton. I had that much of the stuff I'd no idea it's age. Got rid of it all and went to fluro.
    At £5 a spool find another use for it - broad beans?

I have my fishing gear with me at all times so if the water is good and I finish work early I can go straight out without popping home for my gear. More to the point my Mrs never knew about my half day and keep the fishing a secret, but last season with the hot spells we had I'd never hooked a salmon let alone land one before. And my leader was in my car for most of the summer (brand new spool) but this day I'd some how hooked into a salmon which was a gentle take and had it at the bank then it made a last minute dash and my leader snapped on me, so I thought nothing more about it untill I hooked another 2 decent fish maybe pushing double figures 2solid takes and both leaders snapping instantly which I can only think that being in the car for so long in the heat must have weakened my line and resulting in my only salmon hooked on fly and lost, I won't be making that same mistake again...
    There's no room at the inn... our country is full

I'm not saying I am right but I will use mine for 3 seasons.
    I remember down the Tweed a few seasons back fishing Rutherford.the ghillie was helping me set up fly line etc, he took one look at my leader line and tossed in the bin, he was very close to getting one on the napper from my priest I'll tell you.
    He did say what's the cost of salmon to the cost of new leader line, he did have a point mind you.
    I do test my line though, especially if it is more than a season old.

How long are these spools of line sitting on the shelves in the tackle shop or in a box at the factory for?

One of my friends has a 6 mile spool of 12lb mono. He must have had it for six years or more. He has never had any problems with his line going "out of date" in fact i have witnessed him catching much bigger fish than his line B/S and as i say the stuff is years old.

If I were you Andy I would test the strength of the line with a newton meter. If it seems good then use it.

Default newton Meter

If I were you Andy I would test the strength of the line with a newton meter. If it seems good then use it.[/QUOTE]

What is a"newton meter"..Please?
    I test my leader lines often. I tie two short lengths together using a two turn overhand knot, then loop each end. One end is then looped to a Spring Balance ,which is attached to a vice and with a suitable stick through the other loop I then pull until the line breaks.
    I have a split second to read the spring balance breaking value before everything flies all over the place.
    A "newton meter" sounds a much safer instrument to use!
    Incidentally I expect the line to break at the knot and at a value a good bit above half of the stated breaking strain of the line being tested or it fails the test and is discarded.
    “The man that hath no music in his soul is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;" Shakespeare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast