Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Most Memorable Fishing Advice

When I started to fish for salmon many years ago I just could not get the chance of one. One day, maybe 3 years after not even getting a pull off a salmon , I had a walk down the River and there was an 'old' gentleman fishing the Syndicate waters on the Castle Fisheries.

I sat under a tree to watch him fly fishing down the Garden Pool and watched him catch 2 salmon. He finally got to the end of that Pool and walked up to where I was sitting myself under the tree. The chatter got around to how many fish I had that season, I said I had never caught a salmon and I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

He said when you are fishing do you catch Sea Trout or Brown Trout, I said I did.Well he said If you can catch them, you can catch salmon. They show you that you are not doing anything wrong and that your fly is fishing right. He asked What knot do you use to tie your salmon flies, I said I used the Blood Knot. He spent a bit more time showing me the Turle Knot, which I have used ever since.

I have never forgotten that little bit of advice, many years have passed since then.

What is your most memorable advice given.
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

First one - really simple, wet your knot before tightening it up.
    Second one - work hard at your fishing become some of the best memories you will ever have will be made by the water

You cant catch a fish sitting at home.

I've caught a few good fish when at first glance conditions suggested id not bother.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Fish with a fly/lure you have confidence in...........

You don't have to see them to know they are there.

Has always stuck in my mind. And good to fish with confidence

Default Best fishing advice guy

Best bit of advice I ever had was from my dad who taught me to fish . He said before you even have a cast , take 5 minutes to look at the river see if there's anything to help you decide where to start fishing & just enjoy being out in the fresh air & countryside.

When you get a take or pull and nothing comes of it, take as much time as it takes to roll a cigarette,or to non smokers,as much time as to take to tie a fly on,before you cast again. Let the fish settle again.

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    You don't have to see them to know they are there.

Has always stuck in my mind.
    There speaks a Clyde fisher....

Advice.....take casting lessons!
    Mike

Enjoy it

Theres little point fishing " where" there is no fish...!

forget where I picked that up......but similarly there is little point fishing

"when" there is no fish....

sounds simple is simple ........
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast