Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Fish

Default Losing Fish

Hard enough to come by but losing them argghhhh.
    Lost my first springer of the year on the upper Tay yesterday and it got me thinking.
    No it wasnt on the fly but almost it was on the flying C. I seem to lose a large percentage of my fish on the flying C. Soo okay I hear it dont fish it but there is no doubt it has something and takes a great deal of fish.
    But how do I change things to keep them on when I hook them.Heres my rough percentages of ratio hooked and landed.
    Fly 95% Floating devon 85% Worm 90% and flying C 70%
    I know depends alot on how often you fish each method and for how long but be good to hear from others if they have similar experiences and what they have done to prevent the poor hooking of the flying C
    ORrrrrrr is it just me.

chris

I dont lose fish anymore!long distance catch and release for me
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishconnolly View Post
    Hard enough to come by but losing them argghhhh.
    Lost my first springer of the year on the upper Tay yesterday and it got me thinking.
    No it wasnt on the fly but almost it was on the flying C. I seem to lose a large percentage of my fish on the flying C. Soo okay I hear it dont fish it but there is no doubt it has something and takes a great deal of fish.
    But how do I change things to keep them on when I hook them.Heres my rough percentages of ratio hooked and landed.
    Fly 95% Floating devon 85% Worm 90% and flying C 70%
    I know depends alot on how often you fish each method and for how long but be good to hear from others if they have similar experiences and what they have done to prevent the poor hooking of the flying C
    ORrrrrrr is it just me.

chris
    I had a similar experience yesterday on the north esk
    I had my first fish of the season coming towards the net, it gave a kick in a bid for freedom and the flying c caught the net and a nice bar of silver around 10lb slowly swam back into the depths
    That was just unfortunate.....
    I have lost fish on the flying c but no more than on a rapala or vision......

I know people who lose fish on the flying c! They say they're not great at hooking up but continue to use them because they work😎

Default Losing Fish

Aye guid yin I must put that on my catch return at the end of the year.
    Well I got a good look at the ****** and was fresh as a daisy groannnnn.
    but hey ho March isnt a good month for me lost my first springer last year same week of march and I had it on for best part of 15 minutes.

I believe it has a lot to do with the quality of the hooks and how the fish takes. I fly fish only and was using all manner of singles and doubles and was losing fish. I now only use two brands of hook (singles & doubles only) and very rarely lose a fish these days. I also find that fish that take as the fly swings round stay on and that fish hooked as you retrive the line (3/4 pulls) prior to recasting don't. If you get a "head shaker" they can also lose the hook easily too.........

What's the name of these magic always stick doubles ?
    I need to get some !

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmy View Post
    What's the name of these magic always stick doubles ?
    I need to get some !
    I'll pm you Hemmy......don't want the "secret" getting out!

I'd say looking at your landed to lost percentages, your not doing badly at all!
    Too many variables in salmon fishing to make sure you lose much less than you do.
    “Some people take offense like it's a limited time offer.”

Ive no doubt in my mind that the biggest factor in losing fish is how you react to the take and how you then fight the fish. Of course there will be other variables but if the hook isn't 'set' properly in that first instance then it stands a much higher chance of coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    I dont lose fish anymore!long distance catch and release for me
    I tend to release before I catch, saves all the commotion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast