Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Question Returning salmon numbers to historical levels - Preposterous?

With all the kerfuffle recently about salmon stocks, and the "Abattoir" thread and other recent posts, I recall an old book When the Rivers Run Dry by Fred Pearce...

I was minded of recent pronouncements by the SCS wanting to "restoring salmon numbers to their historic abundance" as touted by NASF and AST recently. Lofty aims, and immediately appealing to most of us, surely.

I was also minded of what impact farming has had on our salmon stocks, something that a certain rogue often takes me to task for, and that certain SCS Players appear to have a hand in. Well then, I had a bit of an epiphany... It's all about natural hydrology

Take the Fens. A massive area of marsh and bog, common land on which a common treasury was built that sustained people for centuries. Pearce reminds us that for centuries salmon, eels and sturgeon were present in abundance and sustainably harvested in these natural watersheds, for the common good.

Enter the Duke of Bedford, stage Left...

as the song goes:

For they do mean all fens to drain

And water overmaster

All will be dry and we must die

'Cause Essex calves need pasture

Fens drained, Clearances achieved. So, the common good was subverted to private profit, and hence went the rivers and our once abundant salmon stocks... sound familiar?

Vermuyden has a lot to answer for IMHO (especially on my local river!!!) but hey-ho, it's the chappers wot don it...

So, this begs the question, how do we restore the stocks to historical abundance given this kind of carry on and the modern demands of life and the UK population?

Yes, that's rhetorical, since it's preposterous and unachievable

Regards
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I have yet to catch a salmon in Scotland. The runs are dog poo. Do something about it quickly so I might catch a salmon in Scotland.

Over and out.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

In order to bring Salmon back to the levels of abundance we had in the 1950s I have 2 proposals:

Option 1
    Breach all the Hydro Schemes
    Destroy all sewers leading to a river
    Reduce the population in every Salmon river catchment
    Stop all abstraction
    Stop Salmon Farming
    Reverse all land drainage schemes
    Chop down all non-native forestry
    Poison the brown trout
    Shoot the FEBs
    Net the Pike
    Dynamite the falls
    Ranch the Smolts
    Lime the rivers
    Ban all pesticides
    Ban all herbicides
    Ban intensive farming
    Destroy all oil infrastructure
    Compulsory wearing of Tweed and Pipe Smoking
    Stop fishing the Dee in June
    Workers only allowed to fish during the Glasgow fair.
    Travel to rivers by train, omnibus or Austin 7 only
    Compulsory use of Gaffs
    Kill everything we catch
    Vote Atlee!!

Option 2

C&R everywhere
    Ban the nets

Look's like it's Option 1 then, Heero, book your ticket on the Queen Mary and get those Plus 4's on we'll be balls deep in fish before you know it.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 18-03-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    In order to bring Salmon back to the levels of abundance we had in the 1950s I have 2 proposals:

Option 1
    Breach all the Hydro Schemes
    Destroy all sewers leading to a river
    Reduce the population in every Salmon river catchment
    Stop all abstraction
    Stop Salmon Farming
    Reverse all land drainage schemes
    Chop down all non-native forestry
    Poison the brown trout
    Shoot the FEBs
    Net the Pike
    Dynamite the falls
    Ranch the Smolts
    Lime the rivers
    Ban all pesticides
    Ban all herbicides
    Ban intensive farming
    Destroy all oil infrastructure
    Compulsory wearing of Tweed and Pipe Smoking
    Stop fishing the Dee in June
    Workers only allowed to fish during the Glasgow fair.
    Travel to rivers by train, omnibus or Austin 7 only
    Compulsory use of Gaffs
    Kill everything we catch
    Vote Atlee!!

Option 2

C&R everywhere
    Ban the nets

Look's like it's Option 1 then, Heero, book your ticket on the Queen Mary and get those Plus 4's on we'll be balls deep in fish before you know it.

Are Tweed wearing and pipe smoking not compulsory already? Now I know when it all went wrong. Can we not go back to the catches of the 50's though they seem considerably lower than those of today. How about the catches of that long past golden age of optimism, large catches and only voluntary C&R: 2010!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Option 1
    Shoot the FEBs

And this means?
    Last edited by let them all go; 18-03-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by let them all go View Post
    And this means?
    Fish eating Burds

I dont know what Plus 4's means but it sounds as though you are calling me fat. Are you saying Im fat?

Its ok if you are. I just need to know whether or not to lock myself in the closet to have a good sob and eats a pound of chocolate cake, or not.

Kidding aside, you can scrap both options and simply provide a little rain on my visits. Hows the man to speak to about this? Ill write some letters or even phone, if need be.

Gracias (thats Spanish for thanks).

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    Hows the man to speak to about this? Ill write some letters or even phone, if need be.
    Moi. I had, after waiting 5 months on a gathering of fishermen for a day out last Saturday, 6ft 7" on the beat gauge.

I don't come cheap though Heero!

And Ive brought periods of severe drought upon my arrivals in the past. Perhaps we can combine our powers, your floods and my droughts, then really charge fishermen a premium for good flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    And Ive brought periods of severe drought upon my arrivals in the past. Perhaps we can combine our powers, your floods and my droughts, then really charge fishermen a premium for good flows.
    Do we get a money back guarantee? If so I'll send you my dates/areas. There must be an arbitrage on fishpal's flood insurance somewhere. If we reinsure the underwriter, parcel up the risk into a new derivative and resell It back in to the market whilst safe in the knowledge we can moderate the flow and therefore there will never be a call we could make millions! What could possibly go wrong with derivatives or reinsurance? oh wait...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast