Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default super trawler allowed to keep catch after illegal fishing

have a read of this ,not salmon but beggars belief
    Dutch reap rewards of illegal haul | Sea Fishing Magazine

Default I wonder?

That's a disgrace!!!!
    If i went into Harrods and lifted a few Grands worth of gear would i be able to keep it?
    Paying a fine for a first offence,a wee bit community service?
    Keeping all my ill gonten gaines?

NOT BLOODY LIKELY!!!

It would be unbelievable if it wasn't so tragically believable. Is it any wonder our sea fishing industry is in such a poor state. The judge should be keel hauled and flogged around the fleet.

Nae justice er then.

Iceland has the right policy. Keep them out in the first place.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

your correct robert,our gov hasnt the balls to stand up and protect our fish

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Iceland has the right policy. Keep them out in the first place.
    A Danish trawler that not only controls almost a quarter of Englandís fish quota, but catches almost 700 tons of mackerel into the bargain in a protected area????
    This beggars belief.

In order to add some balance and put this matter into context it should be understood that :

1. The vessel would undoubtedly had quota which entitled it to fish for mackerel. Had this not been the case then the gravity of the offences committed would have been much greater.

2. Mackerel is considered to be an HMSS , Highly Migratory Straddling Stock which does not respect EEZ boundaries nor fishing zones contained therein. Although it was located in this particular zone at the time it was caught it is more or less certain that it would have been in some unprotected zone at some point in time in the future. If the vessel had not caught the specified quantity of mackerel in the zone in question it certainly would have caught them elsewhere. In terms of the overall mackerel resource it would have made no difference.

3. In general terms the mackerel resource is in rude health. Probably at an historic high and somewhere in the region of 9 million mt !!
    It may not be in your backyard as it has a penchant for more northern waters nowadays but then that maybe be down to climate change, increased sea temperatures or if you are a disciple ' global warming'!

4. I do not know how much mackerel quota this vessel has , however , it may be possible that it has entitlement to a significant percentage of the English mackerel quota . This quota would undoubtedly have been sold by a UK company who would have at some point in time owned this entitlement.
    Perhaps the blame for this lies with the UK government which allowed UK businesses title to these quotas instead of leasing or loaning them on behalf of the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by acercon3 View Post
    In order to add some balance and put this matter into context it should be understood that :

1. The vessel would undoubtedly had quota which entitled it to fish for mackerel. Had this not been the case then the gravity of the offences committed would have been much greater.

2. Mackerel is considered to be an HMSS , Highly Migratory Straddling Stock which does not respect EEZ boundaries nor fishing zones contained therein. Although it was located in this particular zone at the time it was caught it is more or less certain that it would have been in some unprotected zone at some point in time in the future. If the vessel had not caught the specified quantity of mackerel in the zone in question it certainly would have caught them elsewhere. In terms of the overall mackerel resource it would have made no difference.

3. In general terms the mackerel resource is in rude health. Probably at an historic high and somewhere in the region of 9 million mt !!
    It may not be in your backyard as it has a penchant for more northern waters nowadays but then that maybe be down to climate change, increased sea temperatures or if you are a disciple ' global warming'!

4. I do not know how much mackerel quota this vessel has , however , it may be possible that it has entitlement to a significant percentage of the English mackerel quota . This quota would undoubtedly have been sold by a UK company who would have at some point in time owned this entitlement.
    Perhaps the blame for this lies with the UK government which allowed UK businesses title to these quotas instead of leasing or loaning them on behalf of the nation.
    Thanks for that, a very interesting and enlightening contribution. As always context is everything!

Its a shame we don,t look after our fisheries like they do in the US.
    They have very strict rules and quotas and they police them vigorously.
    The fines are really high as well.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast