Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rio Scandi Kit - Tips.

Morning All, I've just bought the Rio Scandi Kit which arrived with the 3 tips as relevant.

Question:- I would have expected them to have loops at both ends, they have only come with loops relevant to fixing to the shooting head. What would be the best way to attach tip to leader/tippet now? some people have suggested perfection loop or even tip rings?

Any help would be appreciated thanks,

Joe.

Cut of the nylon, and fit a braided loop,whip it and glue with aquashure.

Perfection loop for me.

I too use a loop. Then when nylon worn cut it off..... Tie loop on Tippett and secure it to tip using old fashioned figure of eight....have been doing this for years and it's never let me down yet !!!!

If you make loop with the nylon on the end of tip, and then use fluorocarbon for your leader, the fluro can cut through the normal nylon on the tip. Not a good idea should you hit into a big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsmac1 View Post
    If you make loop with the nylon on the end of tip, and then use fluorocarbon for your leader, the fluro can cut through the normal nylon on the tip. Not a good idea should you hit into a big fish.
    surely loop to loop connections are fine!!
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

agree with Andy! Perfection loop
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Must agree with Scots Mac on this one.
    Making a loop on the nylon at the end of the tip is fine,problem can occur when using fluro for your leader.
    Learnt the hard way up the Dee,,I was using a Rio tip which I had looped the nylon at the end,6ft seagur for my tippet with a tube.
    Hooked in to a nice fish and was playing it nicely then nothing.
    Was pulling in the line to check my fly and it wasn't there along with the 6ft of tippet.
    On closer examination I noticed the loop on the Rio tip had failed,it was cut right where the fluro would be seated under tension..
    I then seen it happen to a guest on the stinchar,he was using orvis mirage fluro.loop had failed exactly where the fluro would be seated.
    I reckon fluro being harder than normal nylon is the problem.
    Either use tippet rings on the end of the tips or braided loops whipped and aquasured

Never experienced that problem and have caught several fish over 20 lbs.....but I do always check for signs of wear and do not hesitate to cut nylon off and use old fashioned figure of eight.
    IMHO braided leaders can be too bulky particularly if using short Tippett....too bulky for me but I am sure the fish don't mind !!!!
    Having said that I am sure that long chuck and Scotsmac are speaking from their own experiences and I accept braided leaders properly secured would be bombproof....

Always use the perfection loop myself never let me down so far,but if I get a snag where I have to break of its always at the perfection knot that is the weakest link, but get what you say about fluro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast