Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Springer or kelt

Just been on another forum and in the Salmon fishing section somebody has posted that a 7lb salmon is almost certainly a kelt. This raises a few questions from myself. I think I know what he is inferring in that at that size it is not large enough to be a MSW fish. Could it be a very early grilse? Is a grilse caught at this time classed as a springer purely due to the time of the year? Indeed, are early grilse and springers one and the same?
    There have been a few fish of 10lb and below reported on this forum as springers. Not trying to rock the boat in anyway. Just want to know what exactly constitutes a springer and hopefully gain some knowledge along the way.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spruce View Post
    Just been on another forum and in the Salmon fishing section somebody has posted that a 7lb salmon is almost certainly a kelt. This raises a few questions from myself. I think I know what he is inferring in that at that size it is not large enough to be a MSW fish. Could it be a very early grilse? Is a grilse caught at this time classed as a springer purely due to the time of the year? Indeed, are early grilse and springers one and the same?
    There have been a few fish of 10lb and below reported on this forum as springers. Not trying to rock the boat in anyway. Just want to know what exactly constitutes a springer and hopefully gain some knowledge along the way.

The definition of a springer rather depends on who you talk to! My definition is a fish that runs any time from October through till June but which is not going to spawn untill the Autumn after they run. They will all be MSW fish which range in size from 5 to 50lb.

If you look at a theoretical cohort of smolts that go to sea in May 2015, they could come back as the following runs. Firstly Grilse. The earliest usually arrive in May and are very small, often only two or three pounds. They keep running all summer and Autumn getting bigger as the year progresses, and spawning in the Autumn or winter of the year they run. By December the Grilse can be 12 lb or more. The next run start in the winter of 2015/6, usually starting in January or February, and are going to spawn in the Autumn or Winter 2016. They start off smaller than the late Grilse, presumably because they have stopped feeding sooner and travelled back further. They tend to be from 5 lb to 10lb, getting slowly bigger as the season goes on with the run petering out in June. At this point there is some overlap as these 2SW fish run through the summer, getting bigger much faster and increasing in number untill the late Autumn, when they can weigh up to 20lbs. The next run starts at the end of October 2017, on some rivers, historically the Tay, with fish around 15 to 20lbs and continues through until June 2018 when they can be as large as 40lb. Again some of these 3sw fish can run through summer and Autumn and after there will be very small number of 4 and 5 SW fish. In addition some of the spawners from each run can survive and return to spawn again after an interval that can very from one to three seasons. There does not appear to be a pattern to how they return, some Grilse Kelts will return as Springers and springer Kelts can return as springers, summer or autumn runners.

The sizes can vary tremendously and different rivers get runs at different times. The above is based on research that was done by Malloch on the Tay in the early years of the twentieth century, and may not be as applicable now but is usefull as an indicator of what could happen.

Some springers can be very small.we caught quite a few several years ago on the north and South esk.3 to 5 lb. 100% springers the ones I saw.

Don't know why they sometimes come so small.get a few on the earn 4 to 6. Last year the springers were as fat as pigs 7 to 12lb

Most springers on the Tweed would be sub 10lb.
    “Some people take offense like it's a limited time offer.”

For those who be unaware, Kelts are salmon which have spawned. Usually identified by the thin shape, distended vent and presence of "gill maggots" on the red gill filaments, they are often encountered by anglers in spring when they regain a silvery appearance and can be mistaken for fresh run Springers. Kelts must be returned unharmed to the water.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=photo...ml%3B566%3B169

Quote Originally Posted by spruce View Post

Lol - utter b******!

Had this a week past Saturday - around the 7lb mark - now does this look like a kelt???

ne-2015-jpg

Don't always believe what you read on fora, there's a lot of folk on them that really don't have a clue!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Braw wee Springer unlike its captor

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Braw wee Springer unlike its captor
    Cheeky ****** - still waiting to see your pics??????

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Lol - utter b******!

Had this a week past Saturday - around the 7lb mark - now does this look like a kelt???

ne-2015-jpg

Don't always believe what you read on fora, there's a lot of folk on them that really don't have a clue!

Give it 10 months.😜
    Nice hat btw

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Give it 10 months.😜
    Nice hat btw
    ....it was a freebie - and being an Aberdonian, need I say more???

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast