Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  121
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Fishing the worm.

Just been looking at some of the questions on the survey, and the worm issue jumped out at me.
    Personally I think, fishing the worm, is 1 of the best methods for young anglers to start with on there journey into salmon fishing. It teaches you river craft and reading water, the flow of the undercurrents, and the likely holding water for fish ( it teaches river craft second to none ). Predominantly if you catch the salmon bug you will soon have a fly rod in hand and begin the quest of chasing silver with the fly. It is a great way in getting newcomers into fishing. I can also honestly say that all the best fishers I have fished with, all fished the worm when they were kids. Its difficult enough getting the younger generation into fishing so putting restrictions such as fishing the worm in my book is not a good idea. And most important of all its great fun trotting a worm down small seams and deep pots, a great way to fish at the right time, and any bit as skilful as fishing the fly.

Default The Worm

IMHO as an angling coach the more we can do to take youngsters away from the Tv and XBox and out there holding a rod in their hands then we should do it ans if that means having no or minimal restrictions on the use of the worm then we should do it.
    Im sure the majority of anglers who have fished for a lng time started out using basic tackle and the humble garden fly.
    n my local angling club we struggle to get younger members and we should be able to encourage them by showing them the simplest way to fish for salmon and again IMHO thats trundling a worm along the bottom in among the known lies.

The worm question was very loaded in my opinion.
    Why not just make circle hooks compulsory.

Cheers

Mows

I fished the worm for years when keeping a fish was not a problem. I would never do it now as i you have to chap em.
    You have to wait for ages for the buggers to swallae the hook if you try and strike early you just pull the worms oot oh the fishes mooth.

I guess you could ban it the end oh august tho.

The shrimp on the other hand was never a problem. the only problem we it was the kippers love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Why not just make circle hooks compulsory.
    Because it was a loaded question , Alan.

Bathgate no more, Linwood no more
    Methil no more, Irvine no more
    Worming no more
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I agree with most of the above and totally agree about the skill required as I often say every day is a school day and fishing is no exception my answer to one problem with fishing the worm and it may not be in favour of a lot of anglers but if I catch a fish that is deeply hooked on the worm I find the simplest solution is nip the nylon of as close to the hook as possible at the end of the day the price of a few worm hooks is nothing to loosing a lure .

I am one of these people who could not understand why when the shrimp and prawn were banned, on the Tay, the worm was not also banned.
    There was never any problem about deep hooking with shrimp or prawn but the same could not be said about the worm.
    After all, in these days of catch and release does it really matter what method the fish is caught by.
    It is certainly much easier to release a fish caught on shrimp or prawn than one caught on a worm.

Quote Originally Posted by stewfish View Post
    I agree with most of the above and totally agree about the skill required as I often say every day is a school day and fishing is no exception my answer to one problem with fishing the worm and it may not be in favour of a lot of anglers but if I catch a fish that is deeply hooked on the worm I find the simplest solution is nip the nylon of as close to the hook as possible at the end of the day the price of a few worm hooks is nothing to loosing a lure .
    Unfortunately they always die. In the early days of the Fowey hatchery a number of fish were donated that had been caught on worm, deep hooked and had the hook cut off, according to EA best practice. They ALL died, as have every single fish hooked similarly and donated to that hatchery.

Circle hooks are the way forward, NOT banning it.

My friend in Canada fishes with circle hooks, also threads the worm over the hook so that the hook is dangling free . He never gets deep hooked fish. The circle hooks help in hooking the fish in the scissors, leaving little damage to the fish. We were targeting steelhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Unfortunately they always die. In the early days of the Fowey hatchery a number of fish were donated that had been caught on worm, deep hooked and had the hook cut off, according to EA best practice. They ALL died, as have every single fish hooked similarly and donated to that hatchery.

Circle hooks are the way forward, NOT banning it.
    I wonder if the stress of being contained for brood stock may of been the reason of the death of those fish,
    On my local water(which allows worm) iv seen and heard many times a fish being caught and a worm hook buried down its throat!
    I remember a few years back a fish being taken from the river for egg collection for the hatchery! It was last week of November!
    2 months after worm fishing had stopped!
    I'm not saying that a worm down a salmons throat ain't going to kill it!
    But I'm willing to bet that more survive after the line is cut and the hook is left in that we think!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast