Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Thinking to fish Tyne next week.

Got few days spare week of the 16th. I will be up the north east so thinking poss tyne or tweed system . On looking fishpal they have rods on the tyne at Eltringham. Never fished this system before so was wondering if its worth a go, or would I be better looking other water. Would like to cover a few fish, so any help on choosing good river and beat within 90 min of Edinburgh would be greatly appreciated.

West Learmouth on the Tweed have rods available on Wednesday or Friday of that week. At 30 a day, its got to be worth a go. They caught their first of the season last week. Good gillies there as well.
    That would probably be my choice.

tyne very slow at the moment,for what eltringham is and what it costs,go to the tweed,or get the federation permit,after all eltringham used to be federation water anyway.

Likewise head for the Tweed unless you can wangle a day on Bywell or Styford.

Jasone

Just been offerd Orton on the spey for good price. Will there be fish present or should I head for the tweed system ? I know Orton used to be dead mans shoes

I would rather fish Orton than the Tyne just now, if for nothing else other than the experience. Im sure a call to the factor will give you an idea if Orton are getting any fish just now, the Tyne is quiet at present.

loads of cheap days on the Tweed, just look on Fishpal. Like Springer said, wouldn't bother on the Tyne at the mo, unless I could get on at Bywell. Styford is all well and good and I've had fish there, but fishing that pool below the fishpass starts to get boring....and it's not the nicest pool on the tyne. I dislike the chemical smell in the air, assume it's chlorine or bleach from the water works? anyone else notice it? I do have a sensitive hooter.

There's no water treatment works there. They abstract water upstream of the weir and use it to support supplies at various places to the south. The smell is probably Riding Mill sewage works, which is just below the weir.