Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help cutting tails...... Please !!

Help badly needed please....

I have been trying to make my own Flying C's since last season and have had 4 fish on my own to date. Problem is simple, I have stopped trying to make them simply because I have so much difficulty cutting the tails accurately. I am a bit of a perfectionist and have all other aspects down to an art. It's just those bloody tails. I have bought the sharpest blades to cut the rubber/silicone and cut perpex the best way I could, but just not right... Very frustrating for me that I can't get them right regularly. I love the idea of making them and I have spent quite a bit of money buying lots of materials. I have had a few mates ask for some but I am just not happy with the quality yet. I have promised to give them some but have asked for some more time to get it right....
    Calling all the perfectionists out there.... HELP

buy the latex bodys pre cut
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Buy them precut and save yourself the grief

I had the same trouble trying to cut my own.Ended up buying Pre cut ones.
    I asked the guy at Spintec how he cut the ones he sells and he said his missus did them with a very sharp pair of quality scissors.
    She makes a hell of a better job of them than i ever could.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Hi

I've seen both Howard and Morris at spintec do them with scissors.

The advantage of doing them yourselves is you can make the tails as long or short as you like.

I just use a blade I've pm the details to you

mikh
    Last edited by mikh; 07-03-2015 at 12:13 AM.

I punch a hole through the rubber 'blank' with a belt punch at a point where the vee joins then use sharp scissors to cut at an angle into the punched hole.

The hole gives you a guide and stops you cutting too far and stops the the rubber tearing in use. Very tidy, will post pics tmrw if I get time.

Default Some great ideas...

Hi

Thanks for the help so far. I have an issue with buying them pre-cut to be honest I want to keep trying until I get it right.... Stubborn till the end
    I'd be delighted with any pics etc, they would be a great help. I have looked at previous posts from Stump ( true quality) but I have been failing to cut them properly and wondered if anyone else out there had come up with ideas to make it easier. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming....

Quote Originally Posted by An Sionnach View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the help so far. I have an issue with buying them pre-cut to be honest I want to keep trying until I get it right.... Stubborn till the end
    I'd be delighted with any pics etc, they would be a great help. I have looked at previous posts from Stump ( true quality) but I have been failing to cut them properly and wondered if anyone else out there had come up with ideas to make it easier. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming....
    I had the same issue and ended up buying the really sharp scissors think they were 15 it just takes practise to get them right every time i still couldn't get them right every time

Ok, here's some photos

Note that I don't actually make any flying c's, I only make the rubbers to replace any torn ones.

I've not had a single torn tail since I started doing them this way as the hole acts as a diffuser for any potential tears.

You can make a large amount of bodies this way in only a few minutes. The tails can flair out a little on some materials (see pic 6) but I like this as it gives them a bit of life in the water.

I'm a perfectionist too and this method is way good enough for me so if not quite what your looking for then you have OCD

1. Get a good pair of scissors and a belt punch (2 from my local market)

1-jpg

2. Cut the blanks to length

2-jpg

3. Punch a hole at the point where your tail meets

3-jpg

4-jpg

4. Cut into the hole through the double layer of rubber (and no need for a blade its dangerous and not required)

5-jpg

5. Voila!

6-jpg
    Last edited by AlanT; 07-03-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo

Default Super work

Hey AlanT

Thank you very much for your efforts, super stuff....
    I had a "laugh out loud" moment when I read the OCD comment
    Excellent work, I will be giving that a shot tomorrow...
    Thanks Alan !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast