Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Free swinging or fixed hooks?!?!

Just wondering if anybody can help ease my confusion with free swinging hooks and fixed hooks at the back of bottle tubes?! I've always been used to using a fixed setup with retainer tubing but haven't really tried the free swinging option, I can see the pros and cons of it but somebody with more experience could help.

What are your thoughts?!

Free hanger for me except on snaeldas and franci.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Free hanger for me except on snaeldas and franci.
    I'm of the opposing view point ( and each to their own) but I can't see the advantage in a free swinging hook as compared to one held gently in a short section of silicon.

I know water pressure will hold a fly down onto a hook- that's fine, but logically it'll be held in a similar position as if it were held in place by the silicon tubing, neither of which have any effect on the action of the fly.

The risk is of slack line, of the tube sinking away quicker than the hook, chances of the hook catching the dressing, twisting the leader up, fishing backwards, why take the risk? I can't see any benefit to hooks being free swinging, and only risks if the do.......I'll stand corrected if anyone can enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    I'm of the opposing view point ( and each to their own) but I can't see the advantage in a free swinging hook as compared to one held gently in a short section of silicon.

I know water pressure will hold a fly down onto a hook- that's fine, but logically it'll be held in a similar position as if it were held in place by the silicon tubing, neither of which have any effect on the action of the fly.

The risk is of slack line, of the tube sinking away quicker than the hook, chances of the hook catching the dressing, twisting the leader up, fishing backwards, why take the risk? I can't see any benefit to hooks being free swinging, and only risks if the do.......I'll stand corrected if anyone can enlighten me
    The main advantage, as I see it, is in better hooking and holding. The secondary advantage is in creating a movement, often called first movement, that provokes a take response. I find it a much better option on hitch tubes as well. The biggest downside is with the hook catching the leader and fishing backwards. You pays your money you takes your choice!

I use tubes for 90% of my fishing ,and always use silicon tubeing ,I land in excess of 90% of fish that take my fly(as apposed to 90% of fish I hook),I can't see any advantage in a free swinging hook,as the pull of the river will more or less have it fixed to the **** of the fly anyway,but with the chance of the hook wrapping the leader.
    and in August.... the barley grew up out of their graves

Seamus Heaney ,Requiem for the croppies.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
    I use tubes for 90% of my fishing ,and always use silicon tubeing ,I land in excess of 90% of fish that take my fly(as apposed to 90% of fish I hook),I can't see any advantage in a free swinging hook,as the pull of the river will more or less have it fixed to the **** of the fly anyway,but with the chance of the hook wrapping the leader.
    I more or less agree with this. If you pull a hook along your skin with no tension it will very likely just ride along it and not dig in. I think the point is more likely to dig in with a bit of tubing trying to hold that point in line with the hook shank.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

my short experience with free swinging hooks with swing tubes is that i get less leader and fly tangles,less tail wraps ,so im more than happy to keep using them!!

could it be down to tippet diameter!!i use on smallest tubes 15lbs(maxima) through 20lbs for medium tubes and 25lbs for biggest
    Last edited by dexterbuchanan1; 06-03-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

I have used a free-swinging tube for a couple of years now, but mostly with small "summer" tubes / hitches etc.

I think they prevent unnecessary elongation of the body of the fly by eliminating the silicon tube, and personal observation is that the double hook fishes point up, with the hook pretty well concealed within the fly's dressing.

If you have any summer weed in your river, they are less prone to snagging weed.

Trial and error !!

For me clearly free swinging but with the help of a swing tube. They were discussed in T&S under the tackle section some 3 or 4 issues ago. I do use them for a couple of years now. Great gadget. See also www.propellerfly.com.
    Icelander05

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander05 View Post
    For me clearly free swinging but with the help of a swing tube. They were discussed in T&S under the tackle section some 3 or 4 issues ago. I do use them for a couple of years now. Great gadget. See also www.propellerfly.com.
    Icelander05
    dont get the mag anymore!how did the discussion go?
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast