Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working The Fly

Default Working The Fly

When and why do you work the fly when fishing for salmon and what methods have given the best results.
    Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Almost always.

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    Almost always.
    I bet you'd make a great teacher

The bright pupils use the search function for questions that have been done before
    Last edited by T7; 04-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    When and why do you work the fly when fishing for salmon and what methods have given the best results.
    if your queued up waiting to fish down a stream
    it pays to watch what all none successful fishers before you do!if fishing traditional swing methods then mixing it up can pay big time!for this i usually cast at varying angles and time lapses between fly hitting water and start of the retrieve and strip in a long tailed/winged fly generally a sunray again varying speed of retrieve strip sizes(small 6" strips to 3ft strips)
    if its not to busy then i can use a shrimp style like an allys or cascade,park or calvin and mix it between traditional swing with or without mends and striping,i find grilse especially fresh and especially at the tailend of the pool on a dropping river sometimes cant leave a fast fly alone
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

I started putting flies on last year using a rapala knot to give the fly more action in the water as I heard it made a difference.

Never caught enough to tell though

But it does look more inviting.

I always try to keep the fly moving at what I call salmon speed, which is the speed they prefer in the circumstances I'm fishing in.

I like to figure of 8 the running line .

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    The bright pupils use the search function for questions that have been done before
    Do you think I hadn't already tried that.... Having grown up with computers and going on Prestel, an early internet, using my BBC B and a 32k modem back in the 80's I am used to search engines.
    If you put "working the fly" or "stripping the fly" into the search engine it comes up will all posts containing any of the words. If you search titles only then nothing decent comes up.
    I am interested in methods, but more importantly fishing mainly the Wye with its distinct lack of fish, I am interested in what works. After all, you can never have enough knowledge. Maybe if I lived near a river with some fish in it then I would be able to try different things myself.
    If you could point me in the direction of "said threads" then that would be extremely kind.
    Last edited by Dazza; 04-03-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Default Working the fly

Start by having a look at Fast Food and Broad Beans to gain an idea of what and how you're trying to emulate in order to stimulate the fish to take.

Then move on to Walking to the Water Part 1, which is about how to choose the size of fly.

Make your way through the 7 Deadly Sins, paying special attention to Number 5.

You'll find the index to all the materials on Just One Week: Directory October 2012 - December 2014.

Most of the work on your fly is done by the water itself. The key is in maintaining a firm tension through the line from you to the fly. If the line is slack, the fly won't wiggle, and a fly hanging dead in the water doesn't usually catch salmon. You need to add your effort when the water isn't doing the job for you. Often this will be towards the end of the swing round, when there's little lateral force on the fly, so you compensate by stripping in line.

When you do strip in, remember to maintain a speed that is proportional to the length of the fly you are fishing. The longer the fly, the faster you can go. Little short things in the water only move slowly, so don't strip small flies quickly.

When the water is cold (2-7 degrees) the salmon will not usually move far or fast to take a fly, so slow down. As the water warms their taking radius increases, until the point at which they become torpid and switch off.

Feel free to come back with any further questions.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 04-03-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast