Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Should Scotland and Norway hang their heads in shame?

From Orrii Vigfusson

WILD ATLANTIC SALMON PROTECTED BY NEWLY

EXTENDED AGREEMENT - CAN YOU SUPPORT US ?

The wild salmon of the many countries that travel from their home rivers to the rich waters of the Faroe Islands to feed and grow are safe again from commercial exploitation. The North Atlantic Salmon Fund (NASF) and Laksaskip (the organisation of the Faroese Long Liners) have signed a new moratorium agreement that gives full protection to the salmon’s main feeding ground in the North East Atlantic..

NASF’s chairman Orri Vigfusson said: “I am delighted. In the year in which we celebrate the silver anniversary of our work to stem the decline in wild salmon numbers this extended agreement is a splendid advance. It will be an enormous help to our campaign to restore salmon numbers to their historic abundance. It will also kick-start our efforts for the next quarter century.”

Mr Vigfusson, pictured (Golli photo) here (centre) with Faroes representatives Poul Martin Rasmussen and Niels Jacob Th.Nielson, added: “ Now we need everyone who has an interest in the restoration of the wild Atlantic salmon resource to realise that they must also make a meaningful contribution. Like all our other agreements financing the Faroes moratorium and ensuring its continuation takes money. I would ask all our supporters to try to find some cash to help our fund-raising efforts.

“In addition I would especially appeal to the authorities and organisations in Scotland and Norway to rethink their support for commercial salmon fishing. Both countries are currently set to allow nets to destroy almost all the extra spawners that could run their rivers as a result of the Faroes agreement. They are ignoring their opportunity to rebuild their salmon stocks. It is high time these nations were prepared to make an international contribution to salmon conservation.

NASF always works on the basis that any commercial fisherman that suspends or gives up his right to catch salmon must be fully compensated. Said Mr Vigfusson: “We believe that this is the way we can stop the huge and senseless decline that netting has caused to the salmon stocks of Scotland and Norway. See footnote on reported salmon catches.

“To bring this about, of course, all their netsmen would need to be generously compensated. Unfortunately, ever since 1994, these two countries have preferred to waste money on looking for more and more data, Meanwhile their stocks are disappearing. The number of their salmon that survive to spawn is down by 80% to 90%.

“I would ask everyone who wishes to contribute to NASF’s efforts to contact me at nasf@vortex.is or orri@icy.is. Please let us know what kind of support you can offer.”

Niels Jacob Th. Nielsen

Poul Martin B. Rasmussen

Orri Vigfússon

Yes.

I try very hard to read and understand Seeking's reports on salmon numbers, but I am just not a numbers person on any level and so statistics and graphs bounce right off me.

However, whether the salmon is in mortal danger or breeding and surviving with wild abandon, we should respect it and harvest responsibly - at sea and in the river. As a species, humans are astonishingly short-sighted when it comes to respecting, protecting and eking out our natural resources. "We could manage this carefully and have supplies that will take care of generations to come, or rape and decimate it now to make a quick buck. Gentlemen, can we take a vote..."

Deeply frustrating.

Well done Faroese types.

YES!!!!!!!!!

how embarrassing to think that we Scots, this progressive nation???? that used to moan like you know what years ago about those F. . . sorry pesky Faroes "nailing aw the sawmin" are now being reprimanded for that same thing. . . .LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And not only that we cannot blame Westminster. . . . .boo hoo!!! Its all our own fault.

I'll tell you this boy as a certain character used to say. there aint a sinew in my body that doesnt think this is an indirect hit at fishing / sporting estates across Scotland to weaken them, then get them back off the "ill gotten gains" post Culloden!!!!!!!
    Why else would a scottish government sit back and allow a prime Scottish resource to potentially die on its feet as a tourist attraction?????????
    Answer they either dont care or there is a hidden agaenda. link also the Thin quango too as a way of central control, thus weakening sporting estates "control" over their local business!!!!!

Conspiracy theorist. . . moi????. . . not normally but I'll jump on this one cos it suits and I'll tell you what also boy, IF the shoe had been on the other foot those of a different viewpoint would be first on the conspracy merrygo round!! LOL

Can't see a publication date on that , Cb.
    Looks familiar too.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Can't see a publication date on that , Cb.
    Looks familiar too.
    Mid Feb 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoneon View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!

how embarrassing to think that we Scots, this progressive nation???? that used to moan like you know what years ago about those F. . . sorry pesky Faroes "nailing aw the sawmin" are now being reprimanded for that same thing. . . .LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And not only that we cannot blame Westminster. . . . .boo hoo!!! Its all our own fault.

I'll tell you this boy as a certain character used to say. there aint a sinew in my body that doesnt think this is an indirect hit at fishing / sporting estates across Scotland to weaken them, then get them back off the "ill gotten gains" post Culloden!!!!!!!
    Why else would a scottish government sit back and allow a prime Scottish resource to potentially die on its feet as a tourist attraction?????????
    Answer they either dont care or there is a hidden agaenda. link also the Thin quango too as a way of central control, thus weakening sporting estates "control" over their local business!!!!!

Conspiracy theorist. . . moi????. . . not normally but I'll jump on this one cos it suits and I'll tell you what also boy, IF the shoe had been on the other foot those of a different viewpoint would be first on the conspracy merrygo round!! LOL
    I totally agree, the SNP has got landed estates in its sights. Supporting wild Salmon stock conservation, against the working netsman is not going to happen.

If the Scottish government really gave sh*t about our incredible wild environment, they would enforce some real regulation on salmon farms and force them to switch to closed containment, or leave. Yes it's more expensive than current practices, but does the environment have a price?

Unfortunately, ever since 1994, these two countries have preferred to waste money on looking for more and more data, Meanwhile their stocks are disappearing. The number of their salmon that survive to spawn is down by 80% to 90%.

i d like to know if this figure is fact or fiction

Speaking purely as someone who has no real dog in any political fight here, am I right in thinking the Scottish Government are convinced that by handing netting licences out willy nilly, granting crofting rights all over the place etc etc in fact anything that has the swirl of the bagpipes about them they are shoring up the very votes that will keep them in power and to hell with the consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by steve harrison View Post
    Unfortunately, ever since 1994, these two countries have preferred to waste money on looking for more and more data, Meanwhile their stocks are disappearing. The number of their salmon that survive to spawn is down by 80% to 90%.

i d like to know if this figure is fact or fiction
    Yes, I was alarmed by those figures.

Nothing the clowns in the micky moose Scottish parliament dose surprises me now. wrecking wild land and the Munro's we windmills is pure vandalism and they aint even started on the Shooting and Fishing yet.

Norway on the other hand diz puzzle me i always seem them protecting fishing stocks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast