Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Bathroom sealant

A thread on here about aquasure got me thinking of an issue my group had a few years ago. One of the party developed a major leak in his waders on the first day of our trip. AS we had no aquasure he decided to go to the local DIY store. He came back with a large tube of clear bathroom sealant (the stuff you put round the top of the bath). The leak was around the groin seam area. 2 hours later having applied the sealant/caulk waders were as good as new and stayed dry all week. It does appear to have the same sort of consistency as aquasure, its flexable, spreads easily and sets in about 2 hours. At £2-3 for a huge tub seems an easy fix.
    Anybody else done this?

Its a silicone adhesive so will certainly make a stop gap fix but isn't designed for long term submergence. As a fix while on holiday or similar it's better than nothing but not convinced that it would be a long term remedy.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

I wonder if aquarium silicone would be better even as a short term measure ?

For silicone sealant to work it has to be applied to a completely dry surface.I cant imagine then that it would make a good seal on a pair of ripped or torn waders.
    It's a great glue though. Flat surface to flat surface there's nowt to touch it!!!
    Iv'e stuck wading boot soles back on with it and it's been a good soild fix but again both surfaces have to be bone dry
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    For silicone sealant to work it has to be applied to a completely dry surface.I cant imagine then that it would make a good seal on a pair of ripped or torn waders.
    It's a great glue though. Flat surface to flat surface there's nowt to touch it!!!
    Iv'e stuck wading boot soles back on with it and it's been a good soild fix but again both surfaces have to be bone dry
    Try TEC-7 for wet surfaces. Great stuff, even sets and seals under water. Don`t know how it would work on waders though.

Some Bathroom sealants are Acrylic (water based),just like Decorators Caulk.
    I wouldn,t use an Acrylic sealant to fix waders unless it was left to set for at least a day before being submerged in water.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

need more than two hours to set properly, otherwise you will be stuck to your waders???? Try explaining that one. You would need a few hours a the very least. Tec 7 is very impressive stuff, it's a sealant and adhesive. Seen a hole in an pressurised heating vessel sealed with a blob of it. No leaks.

Fine for a temp fix but not easy to remove to do a proper fix later. I carry a roll of the silver duct tape which will fix a leak as a temporay measure and easy to remove to fix properly later

Quote Originally Posted by fly guy View Post
    Fine for a temp fix but not easy to remove to do a proper fix later. I carry a roll of the silver duct tape which will fix a leak as a temporay measure and easy to remove to fix properly later
    Hi , are we talking about TEC-7 here or some other sealant ? Thanks