Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Aquasure and Stormcure

    Hi folks,
    Does anybody on here know if Stormcure will work as an accelerator for Aquasure like it does for Stormseal. I looked on here and tried google but there is no mention of it.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

  2. #2

    Default

    I always use toluene to thin down aquasure, it works a treat and have never had any problems. In my opinion all these thinners like Cotol-240 and Stormcure are toluene with a brand name and a 500% mark up.

    Look at the material safety data sheet below, and inparticularly at the ingredients list (point 2).
    http://www.nrs.com/global/msds/MSDS%202293%20Cotol.pdf
    Basically diluted toluene.

    So i would imagine it would be okay, see if it thins the aquasure down and do a test piece first, or look up the data sheet for stormcure and check the ingredients are the same as cotol-240. I would be supprised if it wasn't toluene too.

  3. #3

    Default

    Where can you purchase the toluene from in the UK ? Cotol 240 is too pricey

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    clitheroe lancs
    Posts
    310

    Default

    15.99 a litre on eBay, Looks nasty stuff though, You'll need to be careful with this stuff.

  5. #5

    Default

    Ordinary paint thinners should do the same job at a fraction of the price. One of the reasons you should be careful with Tolulene, as if you just happen to accidentally mix it with some agricultural nitrogen fertilizer (N3) you end up with Trinitrotolulene (TNT). The IRA just used Diesel and Fertilizer.

    Tight Lines

  6. #6

    Default

    Yes, I got a litre off ebay for 10 squids posted last year. Just take the right precautions and you'll be fine. Use a ceramic, glass or steel container to mix in (I used a yoghut pot and took the finish on the window board after it melted it), obviously use the correct protective equipment and be in a well ventilated area and all that stuff.

    I think a lot of boy racers use toluene as a high octane additive to petrol too among it's other uses.

    I don't clean the surface/seams with this neat toluene but use a isopropyl alcohol instead.

  7. #7

    Default

    Well good news, Stormcure and Cotol 240 are the same thing. I checked both Spec sheets and they are both Toluene under different names. Cotol 240 can be got in 1ltr measure for anything from 37-47 and Stormcure comes in 250ml measure for around 13-25. I mixed Stormseal and Aquasure with Stormcure and both worked perfect. Usual safety percautions with glasses, gloves and a well ventilated room/area is essential. Anybody know if and where somebody could get 1-5ltr of Toluene cheaper?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cashenman View Post
    Well good news, Stormcure and Cotol 240 are the same thing. I checked both Spec sheets and they are both Toluene under different names. Cotol 240 can be got in 1ltr measure for anything from 37-47 and Stormcure comes in 250ml measure for around 13-25. I mixed Stormseal and Aquasure with Stormcure and both worked perfect. Usual safety percautions with glasses, gloves and a well ventilated room/area is essential. Anybody know if and where somebody could get 1-5ltr of Toluene cheaper?

    Cashenman, you can order Toluene off e-bay for less than 10.00 for a liter, that also includes postage.

    SHL 1 Litre (1000ml) High Quality Pure Toluene (Toluol) | eBay

    You can get 5 liters for under 20 off ebay too, if you ever needed that much.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Death_Shrimp View Post
    You can get 5 liters for under 20 off ebay too, if you ever needed that much.
    I bought a 15ml bottle of Cotol 240 a couple of years back.
    It's done dozens of loops , a few other repairs , and I've still half of it left.

    Are you lads drinking it ?
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    I bought a 15ml bottle of Cotol 240 a couple of years back.
    It's done dozens of loops , a few other repairs , and I've still half of it left.

    Are you lads drinking it ?
    If you are mixing glue at ratio Cotol 75%/25% Aquasure/Stormseal then 20ml might not seal a pair of waders for you. You are talking minimum 3 coats each with less cotol each time building the layers slowly. You might patch a few holes and glue a few loops alright.
    It is a bit like fishing tackle, it is always nice to know it is there and at a good price. Although it is dangerous stuff to having around a house. It is suppose to be good around a car engine but I would not know the first thing about that, it might prevent me from being late for my fishing.
    Rgds,
    Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •